New Pope

So, apparently there was a white puff of smoke yesterday. They've elected a Cardinal from Germany as the new Pope. He's 78 years old......hmmm. I realize they want someone with experience, but ummmm.....well, gee. I don't want to bag on the elderly, but how long do they expect this guy to live? I'm not Catholic, and my apologies to those of you who are, but how do they expect the Catholic Church to move forward with leadership from someone who spent most of their life in the middle of the last century?

What are your thoughts on this? Am I being too harsh? Is someone who was born way before the advent of most modern societal changes really the right person to lead the Catholic Church? Gimme your two cents' worth on the subject.

that's the idea. they want a short-lived pope. this way if they disagree with him they can replace him sooner. The sad thing is, this guy sounds like he wants to continue to hold the church in the middle ages, instead of bringing it into the 21st century.

RE: Re: RE: 2.5 swap to 4.2 what is involed?

I think you're being a bit too harsh, as one should have some faith in an election process working :D

Why so critical?

I agree. Ya, the people they pick might have more "experience", but it gets to the point where all everyone thinks about is the guys health and how much longer he'll last.

If they are worried about whether or not they'll like the guy, they should do a little more research on the different people that they are choosing from

graewulf said:
that's the idea. they want a short-lived pope. this way if they disagree with him they can replace him sooner.
yes this is true.
Bounty__Hunter said:
I think you're being a bit too harsh, as one should have some faith in an election process working Very Happy

Why so critical?
its not necessarily being critical. i mean, that was a widely discussed topic prior to the appointment. so its hard to believe that that didnt weigh at least a little bit in the back of the minds of all those who voted.

my question, since i'm too young to remember any other popes, how long was the "average" reign before the last pope? just out of curiosity.

Re: RE: New Pope

Bounty__Hunter said:
I think you're being a bit too harsh, as one should have some faith in an election process working :D

Why so critical?

Faith? blah! not when it comes to religion. I place my faith in the real world. Elections don't work.. that's the problem. They only work when the popular vote is what counts.

RE: Re: RE: New Pope

I'm sure his age was a factor in deciding. I have faith that the election party considered every aspect when choosing him as the pope. Nobody here, including myself, knows even a crumb of the factors that had to be considered in a short period of time.

how do they expect the Catholic Church to move forward with leadership from someone who spent most of their life in the middle of the last century
Where is there to move? That is what the Catholic Church is about, there is no moving. It has strict guidelines that are NOT to be moved. That is why we (Catholics) have this governmental system, to keep that common between all Catholics. When it strays from the guidelines, it becomes one more Protestant religion, which is simply an organized religion of Christianity outside of Catholicism. So there really is no "moving forward". Catholics are Catholics regardless of time and the current world.

And why is moving forward or being more hip with the changing times more beneficial?

Old School is where it's at if you ask me :p

bchcky said:
my question, since i'm too young to remember any other popes, how long was the "average" reign before the last pope? just out of curiosity.

The one just before JPII lasted 32 days.....

I wasn't trying to be critical, just curious and wanted other input. I'm not Catholic, as I've stated before, so it really doesn't matter one way or the other to me. As far as I'm concerned, the pope is just another guy in a pointy hat. And if the Catholics don't want to change, then fine, let them stay as they have been since the dark ages. Whatever floats their boat. Doesn't seem as though it's done them any harm thus far. I was just thinking that their may have been a cardinal out of all of those considered that was equally qualified but not so long in the tooth that may last a while. Doesn't seem to me to make sense to pick someone to lead one of the largest denominations in the world if he's gonna kick off in a few years. I just figured he could do better with the job if he's around longer.

And true, I nor anyone else but the gang at the vatican have absolutely no idea what went into the process of picking the new guy. Maybe they all voted, maybe they drew straws, maybe they tossed communion wafers at a consecrated chalice of wine.....point is, they got one again, so that's life.

Again, no malice intended to those of you of the Catholic faith.

Sparky-Watts said:
And true, I nor anyone else but the gang at the vatican have absolutely no idea what went into the process of picking the new guy. Maybe they all voted, maybe they drew straws, maybe they tossed communion wafers at a consecrated chalice of wine.....point is, they got one again, so that's life.

Again, no malice intended to those of you of the Catholic faith.

HAHAHAHAHA Tossing communion wafers.... I laughed for 5 minutes without taking a breath in when I read that. Definitely no harm taken there. That is one of the funniest visions I've had all week

RE: Soft top windows

Sparky-Watts said:
The one just before JPII lasted 32 days.....

I wasn't trying to be critical, just curious and wanted other input.
right, i knew that one, thats obvoiusly not the norm, and by the sounds of it, john paul's reign was not the norm either, he reigned longer than most, so i was just wondering if you throw out those two popes, what the average reign is. and i have no idea why i want to know, just curious.

i'm not catholic either, but i dont think anyone would have taken your words as critical.

graewulf said:
Faith? blah! not when it comes to religion. I place my faith in the real world.

Obviously you are a secularist. so why any concern or interest in what the Catholics do?

I really do not understand why so many non-Catholics want to see the Catholic church become a "21st century" church. I am not Catholic and I have some views that differ greatly from what they believe/practice, but they are a church of tradition and religion and quite frankly those of us who do not belong to them should mind our own stinkin' business.

I really do not understand why so many non-Catholics want to see the Catholic church become a "21st century" church.

Ditto. It is one thing to adapt to the times, such as develop positions on technological advances (cloning, etc), but another to sway with popularity. If the positions of the church are based on what the church believes to be the truth, and thus the foundation of the faith, then changing positions would be to change the religion.

1976 CJ Rockcrawler Mud truck 450HP/Boggers

jay79cj7 said:
I really do not understand why so many non-Catholics want to see the Catholic church become a "21st century" church.

Ditto. It is one thing to adapt to the times, such as develop positions on technological advances (cloning, etc), but another to sway with popularity. If the positions of the church are based on what the church believes to be the truth, and thus the foundation of the faith, then changing positions would be to change the religion.

You guys are right. After re-reading my post on it and reading yours and others, I realize now that I was wrong in thinking the Church should be advancing into the 21st century. As I stated earlier, they've gotten along just fine as they are since the dark ages, so why change now? Mea culpa.

My problem is that I'm a Methodist. We change more often than most people change their underwear. It's kind of a running joke with us to say, "I used to be a Methodist, now I'm a Christian."

Anyway, enough of that, lets get back to the guy in the pointy hat: what do you all think about him being in his late '70s, and will that be a problem or not?

Re: RE: Re: Speedometer not speedometering right

TwistedCopper said:
graewulf said:
Faith? blah! not when it comes to religion. I place my faith in the real world.

Obviously you are a secularist. so why any concern or interest in what the Catholics do?

Why?? because most of our elected officials are (unfortunately) catholic...

I don't think he's too old. If he is of sound mind and health then why not? So many people are saying he was elected because he is old and will not live long. That theory would mean that the cardinals did not choose the person they felt best equipped to lead the church. I believe they chose him because he was the best choice, and they did not let the fact that he is an old man prevent him from becoming Pope.

Graewulf, in reference to your comments about voting and catholicism:
So, the majority votes differently than you do. Quite frankly putting your faith in the "real" world is your choice, but obviously there is a vast majority of people in this country who have faith in something else and we should not have to change our views because they do not fit modern times or your opinion. I put "we" there because I would assume you feel the same for most churches.

Back