New guy with an 85 CJ

85cjray

Hello everyone at Jeepz,
I joined last year but didn't log on very often. Joining in hopes of finding someone in my area that had a jeep. I didn't have much luck and then the old '85 started acting up. It's been layed up all winter and I am considering getting rid of it. Hope someone out there can talk me out of that. This is my third jeep and can't picture myself without one. Glad to be back.

Attachments

• Jeep Jan 07 002.jpg
    Jeep Jan 07 002.jpg
    625.2 KB · Views: 122
Welcome Back to Jeepz..If you sell that Good looki'n Jeep , you will have NIghtmares of Oprah sitting on the hood of your next car., while she eats her Twinkies.:lol::lol:

Hey Ray,

Nice looking jeep. What going wrong with it? I wouldn't get rid of it, it's not very often one that clean is around anymore.

But post up whats wrong, and someone here will be able to point you in the right direction to get it fixed.

Thanks for the enthusiastic reply.
I don't think it's a steering problem but I could be wrong. There is a very loud growl (for lack of a better description) in the front end. No wheel shimmy at all. It won't happen at low speeds and taking the transmission and or transfer case out of gear doesn't help. Only occurs when you hit a bump but doesn't happen all the time. One 20 mile trip to work would require about 10 stop and go's. When I bring the jeep to a complete stop growl will be gone until the next bump. I run in mud most of the time. Could there be junk in the differencial? I should have it drained in a few days as soon as I have a lift.
Suggestions on what to check for would be greatly appretiated.
Ray

Check your pinion bearing and side bearings, also the Ring and pinion gear for abnormal wear pattern. by the way you described the issue, it sounds like it could be a bearing. i could be wrong..

My first thought was a bad bearing.

I don't think it would be anything to do with the diff since it doesn't move while driving unless you leave the hubs locked. Also, if the transfer case is in 4 something and the sound does not intensify, I wouldn't worry about the diff, but it never hurts to check it out just in case.

You may try jacking up each of the front tires and spin them to see if either one grabs or sounds. Since you said it was not constant, it may not work. I guess you could wrap on one to simulate a bump then test it. :scratch: I just pictured myself hitting my tire with a sledge only to watch it bounce back into my face.

A bad bearing did cross my mind but it's the hit and miss that drives me crazy. Should the pinion bearing move while it's on the ground or do I need a lift? I had a bad pinion bearing on a van once but that sound is not familiar. Actually, I think the sound goes away when I look the hubs. But I don't like driving over the road with the hubs engaged.

You mentioned side bearings. Is that the same as the axle bearing? I changed them when I put the powertrax in a few years ago. Thats only a couple thousand miles at best.

A bad bearing did cross my mind but it's the hit and miss that drives me crazy. Should the pinion bearing move while it's on the ground or do I need a lift? I had a bad pinion bearing on a van once but that sound is not familiar. Actually, I think the sound goes away when I look the hubs. But I don't like driving over the road with the hubs engaged.

You mentioned side bearings. Is that the same as the axle bearing? I changed them when I put the powertrax in a few years ago. Thats only a couple thousand miles at best.
Do this: If you find a Road surface that consistently
makes the concern re-occur, Going on a straight forward direction(no Turns), try to duplicate it with the Hubs Locked. It will not hurt it so as long as your going straight down the road. if it goes away, then look at your axle shafts and any relevant components with it for a worn or damaged component.

nice jeep, just what i wanna find, an 84-86 CJ-7, but want a project one. Yours looks mighy clean, hope you get your issue solved. good luck

Back