Need to find brake lines that are 2.5" longer

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know where I can find some longer brake lines? My Jeep is lifted 2.5 inches, and the stock ones don't seem to cut it.

Here's what I've found so far:
Crown colored lines for $80 - Crown Industrial Products IFT-BLUE - Crown Industrial 5 Layer Custom Extended Brake Lines for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 1"-2.5" Lift - Quadratec

Russel stainless steel for $70 - Russell 695950 - Russell Stainless Steel Brake Hose Kit for 97-06 Jeep® Wrangler TJ & Unlimited with 2-4" Lift - Quadratec

I don't really care if the lines are stainless or not, but I only seem to find stainless lines. Does anyone know of some cheap (but good quality) longer lines?

Last edited:

Re: Need to fine brake lines that are 2.5" longer

I forgot to mention, I've got an SE with disc brakes in the front and drums in the rear. I haven't seen any sites mention a different set of lines for disc vs drum though.

Re: Need to fine brake lines that are 2.5" longer

I'd go with the Russell line for a 3" lift. I think the fittings and I.D. is the same on the drum Vs. disc.

If there is any trail riding.. I prefer rubber lines. they have some flex and give. I have over flex stainless lines a couple times, they have no give and will pull the crimp out of te banjo fitting.

I believe F150 stock lines are a direct replacement for TJ's and are 3" longer

I believe F150 stock lines are a direct replacement for TJ's and are 3" longer

Are there any safety issues with using F150 lines? If it's safe to use ford lines, then I'll probably go that way.

Any idea on the year that I should look for?

Thanks for the input guys.

as long as all the fittings fit, no issue at all, just make sure you use new copper washers and that they are the right size. I did a brake job once and I could not get the banjo bolt to seat, the copper washer I was using was .2mm too large.

I priced out the F150 lines, and they were $45 each at advance auto parts.

I picked up some brake hoses for a 2005 F150 with ABS. The were $35 for the front and $11 for the single back line. They look like they would mount up fine (same adapters on both ends), but I don't really think they are any longer than stock, plus the mounting hardware looks like it would have to be bent into position. I ended up taking them back, and will probably just buy extended ones made for my TJ (since they are only $20 more).

Attachments

• IMG_2394_jeep_wrangler.jpg
    IMG_2394_jeep_wrangler.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2,119
  • IMG_2395_jeep_wrangler.jpg
    IMG_2395_jeep_wrangler.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 2,722
  • IMG_2396_jeep_wrangler.jpg
    IMG_2396_jeep_wrangler.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 1,669

I am not sure about the TJ but I know 1/2 ton chevy lines or yj lines are a good, longer replacement on an xj.

try rough country they are on our site now and they give a jeepz discount. i have my eye on these but i havent picked them up yet.

image-missing.png
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_ss-brakelines.html

Last edited:
At what point should you be concerned about longer brake lines? I have a 3 in lift on my TJ should I be concered about brakelines?

You should be concerned when you can max-out the travel of the shocks with the brake lines tight. The shocks limit how far down the axle can fall. With track/sway-bar disconnects dis-engaged, (if applicable) jack either side of the axle up, close to the drum/disc. Jack it up until opposite wheel looses contact with the ground. If you still have slack in the brake line>>your fine. If the brake line is tight, then that means you still have travel in the shocks, and in effect the axles are "hanging" from the brake lines. This is when things go bad. You can get by with either longer brake lines or "extension" brackets, which to lengthen (sp) the mounting point of the flex lines from the frame rail. Later, Brad

I picked up some brake hoses for a 2005 F150 with ABS. The were $35 for the front and $11 for the single back line. They look like they would mount up fine (same adapters on both ends), but I don't really think they are any longer than stock, plus the mounting hardware looks like it would have to be bent into position. I ended up taking them back, and will probably just buy extended ones made for my TJ (since they are only $20 more).

ok i looked up the 2005 ford f- 150 brake lines and im not sure they look different than the ones in this pic did u get two passenger lines or did u get a driver side too. i know u too them back. just a question.

ok i looked up the 2005 ford f- 150 brake lines and im not sure they look different than the ones in this pic did u get two passenger lines or did u get a driver side too. i know u too them back. just a question.

I made sure to get driver, pass and rear - or at least that's what the computer printout from pepboys said.

Back