Need some info...

Joopin

Super Moderator
To torch or not to torch?

I need to read up on what lockers, carriers, and all that stuff in the rear. I don't have any experiance in that area of my jeep yet. Are soft lockers, hard lockers, posi rear, all a TYPE of carrier? If someone could point me in the right direction...

No the "MAIN" carrier is replaced on the heavy duty style lockers. Detroit, ARB, OX, etc...
These lock, and I mean Lock solid axle to axle, both wheels spin at equal speeds.
These require more then your average tools and shade tree knowlege.

Posi's have the same princible as a locker but have clutches instead of big metal teeth. So they will allow a little slip between wheel speeds. Very nice for any type of street use. and very good off road, just not the best thing out there. Also involve removing the carrier.

Some soft lockers, lock rite, basically replace the inside guts of the "Main" carrier. These typically can be installed by the average person.
But can be cheap in quality, durablilty, and noisy
Did that help any??

update on dingus's ride... pics!

Yes, both of you guys helped alot. So now that I know the locker, limited slip, and all that is types of the main carrier, I know I'm heading in the right direction. The reason I'm asking this is I am having a guy swap my 3.07s to a 4.56 ratio, and that means I need a larger carrier. My mechanic heard what I was doing and mentioned that I should put lockers or a posi in there since I was getting a different carrier.

So now the question is, what should I get? Posi? some kind of locker? What kind of lockers are there? It sounds like soft lockers suck...
I would need something for Road driving but good for mud too...
Also what kind of carrier is in a stock D35?
This is turning into a Tech question now... Thanks for any help!

Back