Need opinions on transmission shop

dave123

:banghead:

Ok, so I got this transmission noise in my T-150 transmission (see below for symptoms). I took
the vehicle to a local transmission shop (Homestead). They said the noise was "definitely"
coming from the bell housing. I thought it was the transmission, or possibly the
transfer case, but told them to go ahead take it apart and let's see. They told me that
my clutch (high performance centerforce) was loose on the shaft and causing the noise.

I still wasn't totally sold, but they seemed to know what they were talking about. Long story
short, they tell me over the phone that the noise was still there after replacing the
clutch. Now I got a stock clutch, I’m out $240 for the new one (I did get the whole kit with pressure plate, thrust washer, throwout bearing, etc.) and I still got the noise. I was really mad, and on the way to see it, I determined not to pay for the labor charges. When I got there, they apologized, told me (before I said anything) that there would be no labor charge, just for parts (they still claim the clutch was bad as well, I saw it, it had some wear, but looked serviceable).

Anyway, do you guys think I should give them another chance, or can you recommend another
place not too far from Homestead? They only charged me $300 for the labor, not sure if
I would get that cheap from another place. They want to try again for $300 and parts. The
place is only minutes from my home, and they were finished in 2 days. It's a small shop, no
waiting in an impersonal manner like it would be at a dealer.

I also wonder, what if it turns out to be the transfer case? They say they could handle that, but I don’t want to buy some gears for the transmission and then, well you know..

I really love the Jeep, but I'm almost afraid to drive it until I get this fixed. Certainly not off road! Also, I don't have a lot of money to sink into this right now. I would hate to have the Jeep sit out the winter! :cry1:

Symptoms:
I hear a rattling noise under the following circumstances:

1. The clutch is depressed while the vehicle is coasting. The noise seems like it comes from the transmission or transfercase. It does NOT sound like a throwout bearing! I can get the noise if I feather the gas just enough that I match the vehicle speed. By that, I mean there is no force on the transmission, neither accelerating or decelerating. In this instance, I can get the noise regardless of where the clutch is.
2. No noise while accelerating, decelerating. At first there was no noise in neutral, but now I’m starting to hear some then as well. I'm thinking shaft bearings about now.
3. No noise when the vehicle is not moving.
The noise has gotten worse in the last several months even though I only put 10 miles or so on it a week.

Your opinions would be appreciated!

for $240 you could have gotten a junk yard set up, swapped the entire thing in, taken you old unit to a shop that takes bench work.. had it fixed and sold it to get most of your money back. Majority of the labor $$ is pulling the transmission and T-case.

thats a favourite trick of mine.

scrapyard part ,get it refurbed in a decent shop then fit it myself, saves ££££

I hate to tell you, but the T150 is not worth spending any money on. Most people didn't like the wide gearing of the 3 speed mated to the 2:1 ratio of the Dana 20. Lots of people swap for the T176/Dana 300 combo or find themselves a T18 with granny low.
Make some calls to your local off road shops and see if they can help you out. Lots of folks have a hard time giving away a T150.
The shop should have at least pulled the inspection plate to look for anything unusual while they had it out.

Qualified techs don't just replace parts until something works.

Back