need idea on suspension for my jk

usmc916

Hey, im new to the off-road community, looking for a little advice.
What suspension would be ideal for a 08 jk. I plan on using the vehicle still as a daily driver while im in the military but would like to stilll be able to go offroad and tackle some good trails, i live near the rubicon and will do majority of my off-roading in the nor cal area. for suspension/wheels/tires im lookin to stay in the 3-4000$ range for the parts. Thanks again for any help/advice you have.

-troy

Last edited:

Hey Troy - any chance you could post some photos of your JK, I'll hook you up with some stickers (take a look here )

As to your question, what size tires are you trying to end up with?

Budget lift and 33's, save some cash and get lockers and shafts.

but before you do that, I would suggest some rocker guards and beeter under chassis protection.

Went wheeling with a stock jk X couple weeks back, less than 4K miles and he tore the crap out of the rockers and beat the skid plate pretty good.

sounds like mine, stock jk x with under 4k for me also...would the budget lift and 33's be enough to handle most trails tho?

First off, I agree totally with Johnny!! Protect it first.....and consider recovery. Tow points, high-lift jack, recovery straps, etc. But first off, go try some trails..........not sure of the JK, but earlier Jeeps are VERY capable straight off the showroom. Go try some stuff first, before you go spending a lot of money on things you don't really need. A lot of it is driver skill, you know!! And that's FREE!!!!

sounds like mine, stock jk x with under 4k for me also...would the budget lift and 33's be enough to handle most trails tho?

who's driving me or you?

JK

But seriously, like they said, protect it, then modify as your ability progresses.

Doing it in steps is the best way. First off look at some front sway bar disconnects, this will allow your stock jeep to flex a lot more. Looking into buying select body armor that your stocker doesn't cover, oil pan, rocker panels, without a lift these parts will meet the rocks first.
As for lifting it, save your money and buy the best one you can afford, a nice long arm kit, no other kit gives you the freedom to do the Rubicon and still drive on the street like it was stock.
Be aware there are thinks on your lift kit you will need after the 3+ inch mark, longer brake lines, drive shafts, TC case drops, shocks, look for a kit that includes all of these. I used to advocate lifting it in steps but why buy what your going to throw away eventually. If it looks like it will be more than a couple of years...a budget lift isn't a bad way to go till you can get the money scraped together.

With your ride at stock level take her out on the easy trails and learn to drive off-road before trying the bigger badder ones.
And as many here have suggested get some recovery points in your Jeep and a good snatch strap and a hi-lift can be a life saver around the Tahoe area!

Back