Need help to ID my jeep engine

dave123

Hello,

I have a 1977 CJ5. I know that the engine has been swapped (same size 304 as it came with). How can I determine what transfer case, transmission, engine, and axles I have? I assume they are stock, but can't be sure. I would like to know the gear ratio as well. Are there casting numbers on these pieces that can help me out? If so, where are they? I verified that it is a 304 by the stamp on the side, but I would like to find out the year. It does not have the original valve covers that I have been told have a stamp.
Thanx

I don't think the engines had a date stamp on them, if it has the 304 on the side of the block they were all the same internally.
Front axle should be a Dana 30, rear should be an AMC Model 20, here is a good axle guide by the cover style http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml
The trans should be a 3 speed T-150, or a 4 speed T-18, if it is a manual from the factory, auto is probably a TH 400.
The transfer case is either a Quadratrack or a Dana Model 20, Quadratrack is a full time case, Dana 20 is a selectable 2H 4H 4L case.

Hope this helps.

The auto transmission and Quadratrac transfer case were not offered from the factory on the CJ5. Otherwise, drivetrain options should be the same as CJ7s of the same year.

The auto transmission and Quadratrac transfer case were not offered from the factory on the CJ5. Otherwise, drivetrain options should be the same as CJ7s of the same year.

Right you are, I must have missed that 5 part:redface:

Thanx you for your input.

I have the 3-speed, so I assume the T-150. The 304, I would like to know the year, because the horsepower rating is different for the different years. Does anyone have any idea how to determine the year? thanx

In those years horsepower was varied by the amount of smog gear that was attached to the motor, and what the manufacturers published for the insurance companies to believe, I would not go by those ratings.

Go by the seat of your pants, is it enough to move the jeep around and do what you want?

Thanx
The engine is quite strong. It has some aftermarket parts, and I am happy with it. Are you saying that I don't need the year to order any parts for it, nothing changed? What happens if I need to replace engine internals and and I don't know the year of the engine?

Thanx
The engine is quite strong. It has some aftermarket parts, and I am happy with it. Are you saying that I don't need the year to order any parts for it, nothing changed? What happens if I need to replace engine internals and and I don't know the year of the engine?

Yep, tell em you got a 77 CJ5 with a 304.

If you want any more power you can always bolt in a 360 or 401 too, the exterior dimensions are the same, just change the flywheel, shared a lot of internal parts too.

Back