Need Help deciding....

CherokeeGuy42

Ok here's the situation. I drive my jeep pretty hard and the suspension is basically shot. As soon as I get the money I need to get suspension, tires, and brakes. My friends keep saying go with a lift if I'm going to replace the suspension anyway, but I don't want to lift it because of the sorry excuse for anti-lock brakes that I have on it. Is there anyway to disable the anti-locks without tearing up my brake system? If so I might go for the lift, which means I'm going to have to settle down on my driving but oh well lol. Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a lift to fit 33's that isn't too horribly expensive? I loved the RE lift, but it's kinda pricey, but I might go with it anyway. Thanks

I meant to also ask, would I just be better off buying a stock suspension and replacing my pieces? Might be cheaper and less of a roll over hazard for my driving.

my guess would be to remove the fuse for the ABS system...and a lift isnt gonna make you COG that much worst...but for 33's you could go with a 4.5 in lift, or if you want cheaper, go with a 3" or 2" budget boost and a lot of cutting...

yeah you'd just need a master cylinder from a donor jeep and yank out that whole ABS system, kuz i agree... it sucks anyways. (had it on my '90 XJ ltd.)

You gotta make up your own mind with the lift vs. stock decision thats up to you. I lifted my '90 XJ 3" , and it was amazing. the extra clearance was wonderful and i could have fit 31's without any problems. with a 3" lift you don't need to worry about replacing control arms, dropping your transfer case, or even extending your brake lines.

That said, I don't think i'd lift my current one. if i had the money, i'd replace the suspension (all new springs & shocks) with stock height equipment and pick up some 245/75/15's or 255/75/15's...

If you don't have the need to lift, don't. Keep the center of gravity lower if you don't need the tire and ground clearance.

Check out www.rustysoffroad.com if you want some decent lift kits at great prices.

Back