need help badly

hepajeep34

My jeep recently over heated badly and I decided to remove the head and look for any cracks found a ton of fluid on cylinders, log story short I removed fluid and bought new gaskets, thermostat, temp. sending unit, tune up kit, replaced distributor since old one had a crack in it. I am having TROUBLE with what I believe to be a timing issue. I have brought no. 1 cylinder TDC lined up needle on distributor and all I get is the engine cranking and then letting a whats sounds like a small back fire. Please help I really need to get my jeep back I miss it.

Not sure what year. My year is a 2001 TJ online 6. To reestablish timing I took out the spark plug from cylinder 1, then manually rotated the motor while putting my finger in the hole where the spark plug goes. After I felt cylinder 1 at compression. I rotated the motor to TDC. Maybe cylinder 1 isn't in compression ?

If you are sure you have #1 on compression stroke, you probably have the dist 180* out or just a tooth or two off. It would probably start if only one tooth off, probably not if two teeth off.

I'd be inclined to agree with 69jeepcj, when you say that you brought #1 up to TDC, are you looking at the timing degree wheel on the damper or are you solely going off of the distributor?

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your breakdown, I just got 'Black Betty' on the road after several months doing upgrades/grafting. Would you happen to know what the motor temperature was when you had this catastrophic failure?

Back