Need Alarm for 2000 Sahara

progusky

EXTREME WARRANTY Warn Winches

I'm a newbie to this site and new owner of a 2000 Sahara. This is my first Jeep and is going to be a project of mine. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of your knowledge and expertise. I need to get an alarm, can anyone suggest one for me?

Welcome and good to have new faces! As for an alarm there are as many as you can think of. Visit you local Auto audio specility shops and go from there. You can spend as much money as you want or as little as you want. There is no replacement for a good mean dawg! hehehe The fact of the matter is if you have a jeep you are a target if you live in the wrong area.

Soft tops and no locks are just a bad thing. Just not putting anything in there is the best bet. Locked doors = cut tops and window. What ever you do good luck. Besides no one ever even looks up when a car alarm goes off any ways. tug

Thanks for the welcome. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and my insurance agent highly recommended I get an alarm. I have both tops. The hard top is on now, but I may want to put the soft top on from time to time. I'm going to shop around and see what I can find. I don't want to be the nusance alarm in the neighborhood either. I agree, it is a jeep, but there has to be something.

Welcome Progusky :D Normally an insurance company asks if you have an alarm as a deduction. You can pick up a $50 alarm from Wally World, never use it, and get your deduction if that's what you're going for in the long run. If you want it to actually have a use then you might want to start with an alarm with a proximity sensor. That way whom ever decides to reach in might get a verbal/audio surprise that wasn't to be expected.

On the down side, as the ever wise Tug said, no one really looks at a car alarm anymore with the thought of "Gee, someone's breaking into a car down the street."

There's an alarm that's on some Dodge X-plorer's (camper) that comes with a somewhat small beeper that can signal you when the alarm goes off. I'm not sure exactly how much this little wonder is, but the newer can cost some big bones. Functionality vs. Price will, in the end, be the deciding factor in what to buy. Good luck on buying and WELCOME TO THE BEST JEEP SITE AROUND! :wink:

Welcome to Jeepz.com. You have ceartainly come to the right place for good advice. I've got a Viper alarm in my Jeep, but I have it set up to sound only when the doors are opened. This has basically reduced the false alarms to almost zero. The best thing to do, like Tug said , is to not leave anything you don't want stolen in your Jeep. Heck, if you are in the wrong area, they will even take your spare change, so just use common sense. It would not be a bad idea to invest in a metal lockable console (like Tuffy) to keep your stuff in. If you are going to invest in a audio deck, make sure it is a detachable face, and toss that in your lockbox each time you leave your Jeep open (topless), overnight, or in strange area. The alarm is a good idea to help prevent theft. Unfortunately, our Jeeps are pretty high in the list of most stolen Cars in America, so just use common sense. -al

Hi,

IMO, Car alarms are sort of a waste of money... Instead, maybe look into getting an Immobilizer system, or making your own. I made an immobilizer for my wrangler for about $25, and installed it myself. There's a good site online that shows how to do this... I'll see if I can find it. :mrgreen:

-Nick :!:

Since my jeep was stolen last year, I've added a hidden kill switch that I wired up to the fuel pump, a hidden switch to the lights (since most vehicles are stolen at night), another club (the theives took off my steering wheel and replaced it with another one because of my club) and an Alpine 150R alarm with a motion detector. Haven't had a problem since. If you decide to get an alarm with a motion dector, don't get one unless you're willing to spend the money on a good one....too many false alarms and you'll piss off your neighbors. I chose the Alpine 150R because at the time I bought it, it was the only one where the motion dector isn't just a trigger, it actually communicates with the brain of the alarm thus reducing the number of false alarms. If you don't have an alarm yet and you have a soft top, your best bet is to have nothing of any value in your jeep and leave the doors unlocked. This way, the theives just go through your vehicle without slashing your soft top.

Jeep Junkyard

I read all the "IMO" and I have my aggrements and disaggrements! I spent many years as a installer or auto alarms and I found that the best alarms are made by DEI (stands for directed electronics incorporated) these alarms have a multitude of add on options and are also easy to use. If you do add a alarm, you can add a simple "hit the right blinker to start" secret switches which are useless cause all thiefs know about them (trust me, it is either the blinker, the defrost, park lights, or high beams.) Most aftermarket alarms will add a starter relay which requires a accual ignition key to over ride! if installed properly, no thief will he able to tell where the wires are or be able to tell how to bypass in order to steal! again, I know everyone has their opinions, and they are entitled to them, but I was in the business for a long time, wnd something as simple as a ignition switched starter relay is all you need!

jps4jeep said:
I read all the "IMO" and I have my aggrements and disaggrements! I spent many years as a installer or auto alarms and I found that the best alarms are made by DEI (stands for directed electronics incorporated) these alarms have a multitude of add on options and are also easy to use. If you do add a alarm, you can add a simple "hit the right blinker to start" secret switches which are useless cause all thiefs know about them (trust me, it is either the blinker, the defrost, park lights, or high beams.) Most aftermarket alarms will add a starter relay which requires a accual ignition key to over ride! if installed properly, no thief will he able to tell where the wires are or be able to tell how to bypass in order to steal! again, I know everyone has their opinions, and they are entitled to them, but I was in the business for a long time, wnd something as simple as a ignition switched starter relay is all you need!

Sounds like good advise to me.-al

I just wanted to thank you all for your responses. Living in south Florida is great, but our crime rates are through the roof.jps4jeep, I appreciate the insight. Is there a particular DEI alarm you like?

DEi does make the Viper, They also produce the Sidewinder, Valet, clifford, avital, hornet, and a number of other brands, all are the same! the only differences between the top of the line avital and top of the line viper (for example) is the Cost, the sticker you get for the window to show off the fact that you have a alarm (which I would not put on, it is kind of a invitation to theives "hey I have a alarm, which means I have something in here of value") sometimes the LED looks different and the remote looks different, that it is. Put the relay packs next to each other and you would not know the different. cause they are the same part number. same goes for the alarm brain, they all are interchangable (the same level at least, the cheaper alarm will not just plug into a top line alarm/remote starter.) when you find a shop to install, ask to see some of their work, if it is a good shop, they will be happy to show off their work. I used to show people the under dash of my YJ all the time, no one ever new all the stuff I had up there cause I hid everything so well. If they are reluctant to show you their work, move on to another shop, that means they are not proud of the work, they just through in the alarm and put it all back together and don't care about about it, No Pride!

Back