my spring break plans... (carb help!)

dingus

well, spring break for me starts march 4th... and ends march 14... (10 days for those of us who are bad at math like me) :lol: my plans right now are to drive the neon home, sell it, and take my "new" jeep back to school with me...

anyways, she's a 2door cherokee 4cylinder w/ a carbeurator ('85 w/ 87k miles) ... and i'm a total carb deadbeat... i don't know much of anything about them except they're the predecessor to the FI systems...

the jeep cranks and cranks and cranks but won't catch and run... i think my first order of business will be plugs/wires/cap/rotor but i have a feeling that the carbeurator will need some attention as well. the kid who had it before me took the lid off the carb, thinking he might be able to fix whatever's wrong. i know he drove it a few snowstorms ago (couple months ago).

anyways... i guess my question would be as to what you guys would suggest doing... should i just trash the stock carbeurator and pick up something aftermarket? should i have the existing one rebuilt? should i change to a FI system...? (not likely that i'm up for doing all that work...)

this is going to be my daily driver and i need it to be reliable. as for what type of offroading i'll be doing will be minimal. i learned my lesson with my first XJ... if you beat the $hit out of it, it'll cost you a lot of money to maintain... and right now as a poor college kid i need to keep expenses as low as possible. i'm buying this jeep for $100 and i'd like to get it up on its feet for less than $500 or so... it has good tires and brakes, exhaust, etc... even inspected thru may!

-nate

Best bet on the 4 banger is to get a stock replacement carb. tug

hmm... that link didn't work but i went thru the napaonline.com catalog and its tellin me that $150 (after core return) for a reman'd carter carb for this thing. is that a decent price? how involved is it to put on?

CJ FIberglass Hard top and full steel doors ****SOLD****

Good price and just lable and unhook the vac lines fule line and linkage the unbolt and rebolt the new hook up the lines and fire that baby up. Adjust the carb should be close with the bench settings and your ready to go. 1 hour tops. tug

Back