My Cherokee's Unusual Modifications...

XJNick

Hi,

Regrettably, It's been awhile since I've been on Jeepz. School has been keeping me a little too busy lately. :x

I know that a while back I had promised an explanation about the "modifications" I've been making to my '88 Cherokee in the past year+. So here it is: Simply put, I converted my Cherokee to a 100% Battery-Electric Vehicle ! For those of you not familiar with what I mean by Electric Vehicle, let me explain a little.

Basically, I removed the Internal Combustion Engine and ALL related components including the fuel tank & lines, exhaust system, air intake and vacuum components, computer & all engine wiring harnesses, emission control systems, engine cooling system, etc, etc. The only parts which I left in the engine compartment were the braking and clutch components, and those wiring harnesses which are for the lighting and fuse block.

The remainder of the drivetrain (the Peugeot BA-10, NP231, axles and driveshafts) was left intact. I then installed an electric motor, motor speed controller, (20) deep cycle flooded lead-acid batteries, DC/DC converter, electric power steering pump, electric vacuum pump, battery charger, (2) main contactor switches, and some other minor electrical components and wiring. This was in addition to all of the metal work which I had to do to fabricate mounts for all the new components, as well as racks and boxes to hold the batteries.

Now my Cherokee runs using no gas, and therefore produces no harmful emissions. Although it took much longer to complete than I originally thought it would, it is back on the road now and is an even funner vehicle to drive. :mrgreen:

That was just the short story. I have a ton of photos and info at my website http://www.DriveEV.com/

Here's a few photos, though. (Click to enlarge):

Hello again to all
-Nick :!:

RE: asking for a little Jeepz support

Very nice.

How's the weight and performance compared to stock?

Have you considered any warning lables for emergency personnel regarding the high voltage should you become involved in a wreck? They'd be none the wiser and we don't need more victims. I know we stress at the importance of caution around hybrid and electric vehicles.

RE: asking for a little Jeepz support

Hi,

Bounty__Hunter said:
How's the weight and performance compared to stock?

I haven't had a chance to get it weighed yet. According to the manual, the stock curb weight was around 3,000 lbs. I added 1,260 lbs. of batteries, but lost some weight switching the internal combustion engine for the electric motor, which is much lighter. So I'm guessing it weighs slighty less than 4,000 lbs. now.

The performance is about that of a 4-cylinder Jeep now. This has nothing to do with the electric motor, but instead with the limitations of the motor speed controller, which is limited to 600 motor amps output. I didn't realize until after the fact that a 600 amp controller in a 4,000 pound vehicle is a bit undersized. I really need at least a 1000 amp controller if I want good performace. Though, for now it works and I'm happy as I never did drag race in the Cherokee :p And yes, It does reach highway speeds.

Bounty__Hunter said:
Have you considered any warning lables for emergency personnel regarding the high voltage should you become involved in a wreck?

There is currently a warning label under the hood indicating that there is 160 volts DC present in the traction battery pack. I still need to put some warning labels in the rear.

However, 160 volts DC is not too bad. Yes, it does hurt, and care should be taken when working around it, but it isn't nearly as bad as the 300 volt systems found in many Hybrids and AC electric vehicle systems. Though, there is really nothing to fear as long as you are being smart when working on or around these systems and using proper protection and tools.

If I were to get into an accident, there would be VERY little chance of there being 160 volts present ANYWHERE due to the safety systems in place. First there is an inertia cutout switch which will throw out the main contactor switches and disable the vehicle in a collision, and then there are fuses which will blow and separate the battery pack electrically into lower voltage clusters, should there be any batteries which short out or make electrical contact with the vehicle chassis. Under normal conditions, the high voltage system is completely isolated from the chassis for safety.

-Nick :!:

How much power does it have? Faster? Slower? More or less torque? -

RE: Re: RE: My Cherokee

Very Cool! 8) do you know if the higher end electric motors make more power than a big bolock? reason i ask is that i was watching a show where an electric car accelatrated form 0-60 in like 2 seconds...seems pretty darn fast to me :lol:

Hi-Ya, XJNick,

First, let me echo the comments above…WOW!!!! :shock:

Second, a question: I assume by “deep cycle flooded lead-acid batteries,” you are referring to the common automotive or marine-style battery with which we are all familiar.

If that assumption is correct, how are you dealing with the explosive hydrogen gas that would be liberated by a battery bank during the re-charging process?

I am specifically concerned with the two groups of batteries mounted in the floor at the middle and rear of the enclosed passenger compartment.

Given the safety precautions that you have implemented, I am sure that you were on top of the hydrogen gas issue, but I am curious as to how the issue was addressed and resolved.

Regards,

Hindenburg Gadget

voltage issue

What is the cost of a recharge and how far can you go on one charge?

Very impressive by the way.

RE: welding spider gears

in freaking credible... some people just amaze me, thats really awesome

I saw this post earlier today when I was on. At the time I thought "WTF :? ?"......but after thinking about it, it's actually pretty cool. I know it took alot of work and planning. Alot of guys get frustrated and give up just doing a straight gas powered engine swap, to finish a conversion like this is something to be proud of. It's not my cup of tea, but still VERY nice! :D Congratulations on a job well done.

Are there any plans to build up it's offroad ability from this point? I bet the electric motor would offer some advantages in certain offroad situations, and the cool factor of an electric trail rig is huge!

Also, I have a couple of questions: Would an automatic transmission offer any advantages over the manual? It seems like it would be better suited for the power producing characteristics of an electric motor. Would an auotmatic still use a torque converter, or would it be straight coupling?

:shock: i can't even imagine all the work/thought that went into that... thats awesome!! rock on!
so gas prices don't matter too much anymore?

DUDE!! We've been wondering where you've been. I am really jealous of the amount of patience, knowledge, and skill it took you to make such a conversion. Did you have help?

I've always had respect for your knowledge and ideals. Now I know all of the talk about emissions free and hybrid tech was something you really do care about. YOU sir are no poser! :wink:

Me on the other hand...

Much respect,
Ian "Big Guy" Dominguez.

RE: welding spider gears

I am impressed beyond belief... Just a couple questions... How much did it all cost, after you recouped the sale of the engine, and whatever other components you were able to find buyers for... You mentioned that it has the power of a 4-banger, is there any way to bring that up (my 6 has spoiled me...) Off-road, can it mud and climb like it could before? I've never driven anything electric besides a golf cart...

Again, such an amazing feat... Wow...

Junkpile said:
I saw this post earlier today when I was on. At the time I thought "WTF :? ?"......but after thinking about it, it's actually pretty cool. I know it took alot of work and planning. Alot of guys get frustrated and give up just doing a straight gas powered engine swap, to finish a conversion like this is something to be proud of. It's not my cup of tea, but still VERY nice! :D Congratulations on a job well done.

Are there any plans to build up it's offroad ability from this point? I bet the electric motor would offer some advantages in certain offroad situations, and the cool factor of an electric trail rig is huge!

Also, I have a couple of questions: Would an automatic transmission offer any advantages over the manual? It seems like it would be better suited for the power producing characteristics of an electric motor. Would an auotmatic still use a torque converter, or would it be straight coupling?
those are my exact sentiments, every one of them. well put junk....hehe

RE: extended cranking time

Cool concept. There is one drawback that nobody thinks of when going electric. chances are, the electricity used to charge it is generated by fossil fuels, so you are generating harmful emissions - just not while driving.

I would be curious as to the cost of a charge and mileage also. Another question - how long to charge? I can refuel in 10 minutes and drive over 400 miles on a single tank.. how many hours are you down if you run dry?

Electric vehicles are a good concept if you never go anywhere far from home

RE: Vid

graewulf said:
I can refuel in 10 minutes and drive over 400 miles on a single tank.
uhhhh.....what? are we talking about your zj here? on a full tank of gas i'll get 300 miles if i'm commuting the whole time (highway driving) but if i'm driving around in the city, or from here to there in short trips, i dont get nearly that good, i realize i have the 8 and you have the 6, but i didnt think there was that much of a desparity between the mileage the two vehicles got.

either that, or i'm taking your statement to literal, i realize there are some cars that could get that, maybe you're just saying in general, but i've yet to see a jeep that gets that kind of mileage :lol:

RE: 5 point harnesses in a tj

bchcky said:
graewulf said:
I can refuel in 10 minutes and drive over 400 miles on a single tank.
uhhhh.....what? are we talking about your zj here? on a full tank of gas i'll get 300 miles if i'm commuting the whole time (highway driving) but if i'm driving around in the city, or from here to there in short trips, i dont get nearly that good, i realize i have the 8 and you have the 6, but i didnt think there was that much of a desparity between the mileage the two vehicles got.

either that, or i'm taking your statement to literal, i realize there are some cars that could get that, maybe you're just saying in general, but i've yet to see a jeep that gets that kind of mileage :lol:

I'm serious.. I have a 22 gallon tank in my ZJ and on the highway get over 400 miles on a tank. I can drive from my house on the jersey shorew to OHIO on one tank. I've done it several times. If I still had the stock tires I'd do even better. On a trip to Maine I averaged 18.2MPG according to the trip computer, and that is with the 30's under there and the 3.05 rear (I think thats the ratio, it's the highest one they used). My secret: cruise control. I use it all the time - it does make a difference, even around town.

Back