Music

I actually like Marilyn Manson. I saw him live at Ozzfest, and they rocked the house . They dominated Disturbed, Korn (whom I'm a big fan of) and Ozzy himself. I used to hate them, but now I own a CD and am a big fan. Look past all of the make up there's some great music there.

I am a big advocate for mixing genre's. Greyboy allstars (jazz-hip hop), Linkin Park, 311, sublime (Hip hop, rock, and Ska/reggae.)

I don't care about the motivation of why the group is here. I used to. There was a time where the "Poser" factor played big for me. Are they TRUE punkers? Are they REAL gangsters? Are they CLASSICALLY trained, did they REALLY roll with Coltrain.
Now, for me, the proof is in the pudding. If it sounds good to me, I like it. Plain and simple. I don't care about their personal beliefs, how they dress, if their hair is long. Does it entertain me on any level... if yes, then I'm down.

But if part of the charm is theatrical (ie costume, dress, dance, intended campiness or cheeky, etc) well then- entertainment is entertainment. Dancing, singing... it's all art.

Just listen to some De La and be done with it. :wink:

34 years old and I already think new music is nothin' but a bunch of untalented punks. Oh well I'm not going to pretend I like it to look young or cool. To me almost all of it is the pits. I don't even listen to FM anymore.

Now where did I put that N'sync CD? :lol:

But seriously, the one person/band out there that makes me want to stick needles in my eye is Eminem/D12. No skills, no flow. Hip Hop has in my opinion declined, and he's an example of that. Horrible, just horrible.

Outkast and Blackeyed Peas are great examples of great new original Hip Hop groups.
IMO.

mingez said:
Outkast and Blackeyed Peas are great examples of great new original Hip Hop groups.
IMO.
What makes you think that..... ???
Its been downhill since Biggie and Tupac......
If I had to pick one best, Tupac. (Yes I know he's WestSide )..
IMO

No way. I love Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Public Enemy... Fu Schnickens, Naughty, Black Sheep, Pharcyde. HIP HOP not GANGSTA RAP. Brooklyn-Queens yo!!

Tupac was Okay, but I just don't like West Coast that much. And I'm from there. I like "flow", not slow rapping. Biggie (to me) was overrated. Just my opinion, but I went through a Gangsta phase. NWA and all.

Mingez menioned Eminem....

I dont like him, nor do I like ANY rap... but I will say... out of the genre, he does it well... IF that is really him writing the words and putting them out like that, he does an amazing job at it... i'm a musician myself, and can appreciate talent, whether i like a certain style or not... in my opinion, rap is not music, but is still a form of art/poetry which is associated with music. but whatever it is, there are some who do it well... eminem is one of them

I agree with ya Snitty..... And Mingez, your right about biggie, I think he had more talent them he was able to show.(his time was short) But for the most part he just said the same stuff as everyone else.
I guess I cant relate to the "softer" Hip hop groups. Public Enemy is border line....

Eminem, skill-wise: He's OKAY. He's the rapper that people who aren't hip hop fans usually point to as someone they think is pretty "okay." Funny lyrics maybe, intelligent.. not really.

Plug 1, Busta, Qtip, those dudes have skills/smarts for real YO. :wink: It sure is cool to see the diversity on this site tranzlate to music too.

i am going to need some help choosing a lift

Never was big on manOWar but yah i know em....the other band no. I play the drums but used to play classical instruments. Im more a decent punk drummer...horrible (still learning) death metal drummer. I might have a shitty sound system in my jeep but hey Im not playing music for other people :twisted: As far as the rap genre goes its as i always say.... RAP= retards attempting poetry. And how can anyone bash RUSH?....ever listen to the lyrics aside from Geddy lees voice?...amazing stuff. Metallica 1982-1991 RIP now its the Lars Ulrich project. St. Wanker was THE worst attempt to cover up the last few gaseous releases from that bloated corpse. Time to retire.

There are 2 main subcultures in rap... "Hip-hop" and "Gangsta". Now a "southern" has emerged. I like HIP HOP. What's the diff??? That's like asking what the difference is between Metal and Death Metal.

I like all genre's, and Tribe has PLENTY of talent, and aren't the "Retards" you suggest. But I will agree with you about Rush... I love em.

i didn't know there were people out there who can like rush... around here... everyone can't stand them... i guess if Geddy had testosterone in his voice, it would be alright... but then... i can't stand AC/DC either... because of the voice, of both singers

Back