Motor won't idle

The Todfather

2002 Wrangler Sport 6 cyl will not start unless gas pedal depressed while cranking. Starts but have to feather throttle to keep it running. Letting gas pedal return to idle position results in motor dying each time. This happened "over night." Was running just fine the day before.

Any thoughts?

It may be as simple as cleaning the IACV.(Idle Air Control Valve)
You just described the classic symptoms to a "T"

It is that little black "can" sticking out of the pass. side rear of the throttlebody(IIRC)
Usually two torx screws and it pulls out.
It has a cone shaped pintle that will be covered with soot and its seat inside the throttlebody needs to be cleaned off with carb or T-B cleaner and a rag. Check and lube the O-ring and re-install.

Usually a ten minute job.

Also if you have a low charged battery you can have this problem. I had a bad battery and after jumping it would not idle unless I had my foot on the gas. New battery and no more idle problems go figure.

Thank you all so much for the responses. Very good suggestions. My daughter actually has the Jeep away at college in South Bend (2 hours away) and i had taken new battery with me last Friday night b/c she said it would not do anything when she turned key. Actually it would turn but not start. Battery was low but did start the vehicle once i floored the throttle; so i doubt is the battery. I feel much more confident now dealing with the situation or even contacting a shop up there to address the problem if i can't.

Thanks again to all who responded!

In regards to the battery

I had to replace my battery this past Monday. The YJ started acting like the alternator went out of it. I put the charger on the battery and it would not take a charge.

Replaced the battery the YJ fired up and has ran smoothly since. Check the alternator out and it is working good as well.

First time I ever had a battery go bad as I was driving a vehicle.

So, it would be worth while to check the battery too.

Back