More CB help

LGR

So, I installed my radio in a nice new tuffy overhead console. The CB got wired into the fuse box behind the glove box and grounded. Then I turn my key back so its just radio and wipers and stuff CB worked fine. SWR meter says i'm good with a little under a reading of 2...all seeemed fine. Then i turned off the CB...started up the jeep..go to turn on the radio and NOTHING. The weather band on my CB is working perfect, just like it should. I switch the knob thing over to CB and i don't even get static its like the channels dont' work..i checked squelch everything i could possably do and nothing. So i returned the CB and got a new one, same model. installed it..same thing..perfect when the key is turned back but once i start the jeep and THEN turn on the CB its crapped out. I did a voltage check on the fuse box with the key turned back and then once with the jeep running...same. But the CB was off so i don't see how it could have fried it and the antenna doesn't seem to have a problem cause it works fine with my weather station and all the readings are the same in the SWR meter. So i dunno..mayhap me and CBs wasn't made to be.
help?...please.

I had the same roblem with My old Cobra CB, but I never was able to ID the problem. Since the radio was 20 years old, I just assumed it was due to age. Are you using a no ground plane antenna? Obviously it is adjustable if you are using a SWR meter. You are testing on ch 20, then ch 1 then ch 40 right? Is the antenna properly grounded if it is a ground plane antenna? If you haven't noticed, I think it is a problem with the antenna! Did you cut the cable to make it fit better, cause thats a no-no!

Firestik requires you to keep all the excess inorder to have proper function!

Guess I'll chime in... I'm having an issue with transmitting. I can pick up, but I can't send out. I tested it with a friend of mine with his CB. I heard him fine....he heard a bunch of static. I checked the cable to the antenna - that looked fine. I'm guessing it's something internal.

LGR said:
So, I installed my radio in a nice new tuffy overhead console. The CB got wired into the fuse box behind the glove box and grounded. Then I turn my key back so its just radio and wipers and stuff CB worked fine. SWR meter says i'm good with a little under a reading of 2...all seeemed fine. Then i turned off the CB...started up the jeep..go to turn on the radio and NOTHING. The weather band on my CB is working perfect, just like it should. I switch the knob thing over to CB and i don't even get static its like the channels dont' work..i checked squelch everything i could possably do and nothing. So i returned the CB and got a new one, same model. installed it..same thing..perfect when the key is turned back but once i start the jeep and THEN turn on the CB its crapped out. I did a voltage check on the fuse box with the key turned back and then once with the jeep running...same. But the CB was off so i don't see how it could have fried it and the antenna doesn't seem to have a problem cause it works fine with my weather station and all the readings are the same in the SWR meter. So i dunno..mayhap me and CBs wasn't made to be.
help?...please.

ok stupid question... where did you ground to? the frame or a ground wire you found? if its a wire you could possibly not have a real ground, you could be grounding through some other component. also, you might try a different hot wire, it is possible the circuit you are using could be the culprit. also, make sure that your antenna is properly grounded, don't rely on the antenna cable to give you a proper ground for it.

GreenReaper93 said:
Guess I'll chime in... I'm having an issue with transmitting. I can pick up, but I can't send out. I tested it with a friend of mine with his CB. I heard him fine....he heard a bunch of static. I checked the cable to the antenna - that looked fine. I'm guessing it's something internal.

have you tried a swr meter on it or a different antenna? a really bad SWR reading will cause that kind of symptom. again, check the antenna ground.... it should be grounded to the frame, not through the radio.

its a fiberglass antenna so i can't really cut it down. I think my antenna is grouneded well, but i can't really tell. is there a way to know? i scraped paint off the back of my jeep and off the mount...did the same with screws and all kinds of stuff. prolly just return the radio give it one more shot..and try connecting it directly to the battery insted of the fuse box...i gota funny feelings its from there.

LGR said:
its a fiberglass antenna so i can't really cut it down. I think my antenna is grouneded well, but i can't really tell. is there a way to know? i scraped paint off the back of my jeep and off the mount...did the same with screws and all kinds of stuff. prolly just return the radio give it one more shot..and try connecting it directly to the battery insted of the fuse box...i gota funny feelings its from there.

depending on the mount that the antenna has, i would run a 10AWG wire from the mount if its metal to a screw in the chasis etc.. had to do that on My GC because i have it clamped to the roof rack which is a poor ground.

The antenna is one of those magnetic mounts. I have the ground wire attached to the frame.... Nope, I haven't tried a swr meter. Hey LGR, where exactly do you have it wired to?

okay..Looks like i'ma head out with my digital camera tomarrow to take some pictures of the install and the wiring job. it'll help with my telling how i have it hooked up and such. let me know what to take shots of. radio, wiring of the radio, antenna and antenna connections?

LGR... depending on where you are in NJ i'd be happy to take a look at it for you and help get it running....

tfx kat back

Greawulf chances are thats what its going to come down too from your message ya sent me before. You off millcreek road down there? I'm more up north but i'll take the drive to get this thing up and running...you do have a radio shack on 72 rights?

Sometimes the illumination lead looks like a ground, but will have voltage on it when the dash lights are turned on, and possibly for a second while or just after starting the vehicle. This has fried many many radios, CB's, and other auto toys. You're probably burning up diodes in these radios.

The cigarette lighter circuit is the safest to use for an EZ power and ground, nothin' fancy there!

Another possibility is that something in your Jeep is causing a voltage spike when you start the engine, but if nothing else is affected by it, it seems unlikely that is your problem.

Best of luck and keep us posted.

okay so..its solved. how i'm not too sure. I was on my way back from my girlfriend's house and I was messing around with it..all of a sudden static came in and some guy talking about draining a water heater...and its fine now. except for the extra noise i get while driving..but i have some filter switch to get that out..only problem is volume gotta go all the way up and its still hard to hear. any ideas on how to get rid of that noise?

LGR said:
okay so..its solved. how i'm not too sure. I was on my way back from my girlfriend's house and I was messing around with it..all of a sudden static came in and some guy talking about draining a water heater...and its fine now. except for the extra noise i get while driving..but i have some filter switch to get that out..only problem is volume gotta go all the way up and its still hard to hear. any ideas on how to get rid of that noise?

Noise meaning a whine? Kind of like an audible tachometer? I would still rewire it to the cig lighter circuit. That choice leaves no question as to the quallity of the ground and proper voltage. It may solve your noise problem if you have a poor ground.

black diamond xt shock

Mount an external speaker on the rollbar behind your head. Just make sure your head will not hit it in a crash. Then you can hear even with the top off.

T-18 install

LGR said:

an inline noise filter might be needed on the power side.... radio shack sells them.... that will cut down on the whine.... golad you got it working... were you able to talk to anyone else? otr just hear them?

front main eye spring bushing

never tried to transmit..just picked up alot. the filter runs inline with the power wire?

Back