Massachusetts Jeepers, got a question?

jps4jeep

Super Moderator

Hello all, long time member, first time poster. Was wonder if someone had a lift jeep in massachusetts, particularly in the northeastern parts, and how they get it inspected, height of lift, tires, wheels, and again, how to get it inspected. I checked the local lift laws and in massachusetts, we are limited to 2 in. suspension, 2 in. body, 2 in. increase in tire diameter. I get hassled just for having aftermarket wheel and offraod tires that stick out! I need a lift, sick of getting stuck in deep mud, but my jeep is a daily driver driven into boston everyday, so it needs to be legal! help, please![addsig]

Dude you are not being left out just seems no one knows the answer to your question! Call you local DOT and ask what the guide lines are, Stop a Cop! at least for me that seems to be the best way just go to the source. Tug[addsig]

i run a ri inspection station, but we have more than 1 store. i asked the mass inspector and he said there is a measurement taken from bottom of door to ground. i have seen 33 inch tires and 4 inch spring susspensions pass inspection. tires can be a hassle as he said only 1/2 inch is allowed to stick out, but flares are made to adjust that.[addsig]

Tug... it seems that here... the cops must already know that we have questions to ask... they make it convenient enough that we dont have to find them and stop them... They always seem to come to me.[addsig]

im new also but this is my second post,
i dont think i would be so quick to ask a cop , here in pa i would
really like to know what the excact laws are, a friend of mine just
got pulled over with a 2 inch body lift with 32 10.50 tires on and the cop
told him fender flares dont count they have to be under the body
well then i guess jeeps come illegal right from the factory
i have seen stock jeeps that came out to the flares
imean i have had a lot of big chevy trucks with very large tires and
i herd all diffferent stories from cops as of what the leagal limits are
i even had to take my blazer with 38 inch tires up to the state police
station and the old guy came out and said whats wrong with it, and
he said just some rookie looking for his stripes.
when an inspection guy told me in the state inspection manual said
you were allowed 3 inches to the bulk of the tire so tell me what are the laws?
now i have a jeep cj. with 35 inch tires so i guess that cop would love me.[addsig]

I have a 77 blazer that has a 4 inch lift and 34 inch tires on it and I never had a problem getting it inspected because at the time the law stated the door to ground rule, the vehicle would fall under the 26 inches from the botttom of the door to the ground, But i took that vehicle off the road about four years ago, and got my jeep. Now that I am out of college, I have the money to get my YJ where I want it (high in the clouds). For some reason I decided to check the laws because massachusetts had changed it's inspection laws in 2000. The new law states the following equation
Max Lift Over Stock= WheelbaseXWheel Track/2200

As for the Tires sticking out, I knew about that, I plan on getting rid of my AR rims and am thinking of saving up some $$ for some rubicon rims (16 inchers)

As for Cop's! For the past 9 years, I have had a part time job in a little pizza shop, and know almost all the cops from my town, Hell we drink together, It is just the cop's that occupy the 20 miles of streets between work and home!

Thanks for the replys!![addsig]

Back