Mandrel-Bent Performance Advantage?

petemcsla

I'm working on an article about mandrel-bending for an exhaust industry publication. Any opinions on the performance advantages of Mandrel-Bent Tubing over OEM? Is there any value in M-bent pipe for off-road vehicles?

I've posted a quick, one-minute survey on the topic at: http://www.mcs-la.com/survey.html

Thanks for any input on the subject.
Pete

we are the low end torque demons of the world, the flow is not so important in the low range... we can get more than enough flow from a good cat, or a good muffler

The performance advantage seems to be there with mandrel bending, and several tests have backed that up. In the real world people usually run an exhaust that is too large to begin with(I usually do), so being able to tell a difference after switching to mandrel bends is hard for the average person and the tools available to them. I know lots of people that have gone back to building their own exhaust after laying down money to order a mandrel bent system and realizing no benefit. Sure looks pretty though.

I use a mandrel bent exhaust on everything, but I build my own from pre-bent elbows and tubing. The good full exhaust kits are just too expensive, and the cheap ones are......well....cheap.

I make my own and I've done a few for other people. I won't say I do all of my own work, but I mess up what I can.

Back