Make my own Roll Cage

prariepunk

Re: RE: Short in Cig Lighter socket?

Would this bend the Tube I need for a roll cage? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12-T...63700QQitemZ4567170085QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
image-missing.png

As long as you don't go above 2", the seller says it will.................

RE: the end of my world...

You could go a cheaper and simpler route. Get an old wheel, clamp your tubing, heat it up with a blow torch, and bend it around the wheel. That's a good tube bender right there. Cheaper too.

Can't you find one to borrow? I mean it sounds a little impractical to buy that machine just to make yourself a rollcage. The cost of the bender would jack up the overal cost of the cage and kill any savings you might have had in doing it yourself.
Just my thoughts...

i would say it will. what are you building out of? DOM? it looks like its going to take some finesse, but it should work. my friends and i are going to build our own cages too, and we are looking at a bender thats about $1000. but the one we're getting is accurate, you dont have to worry about placing the pipe right to get the bend where you want, the one you're looking at just looks like if the pipe slips at all, you could end up with the bend in the wrong place, and/or if it rotates, you could end up with bends at the wrong angle. obviously the one you're looking at and the one we're thinking about are much different prices, but i'd say for the money, it should work. you get what you pay for.

90Xjay said:
Can't you find one to borrow? I mean it sounds a little impractical to buy that machine just to make yourself a rollcage. The cost of the bender would jack up the overal cost of the cage and kill any savings you might have had in doing it yourself.
Just my thoughts...
Yeah, $50 is alot to spend on this, huh?

prariepunk wrote:
Yeah, $50 is alot to spend on this, huh?

$100 with the $50 he is charging for shipping.

I wasn't trying to discourage you at all, it's just that I have had a project in mind and figured how I could save money doing it myself and spent a bunch on tools that I rarely if all use. Another idea, is to get into one of the good 4X4 clubs in the Austin area, I'm sure one of those guys has one, and might just do it for you if you buy the materials.

RE: the end of my world...

Its not a bad tool to have though. If it turns out nice, you can make them for others

RE: Re: RE: the end of my world...

I would buy the material and figure out where I needed my bends then find a local shop. The trial and error period involved in bending tubing gets costly real quick wiping out any savings of doing it yourself. Been there/done that

That's a pipe bender, there's a big difference between a pipe bender and a tubing bender. I think you can get into an entry level tubing bender for $300 to $400. You get what you pay for.

RE: different grand cherokee driveshafts?

Item Description: 12 TON HYDRAULIC PIPE AND TUBING BENDER ROLL CAGE
that's a 12 TON HYDRAULIC PIPE AND TUBE BENDER

CJ-7 or YJ

I doubt those dies would stand up to anyhting but exhaust tubing and electrical conduit. That's a piece of crap.

Bounty and Tallen know what's up with the bending deal. It isn't cheap, and it isn't worth investing in for one job.

You should look into manual benders as well. Yes hydrolic ones are spendy...but for a good reason.

You can pick up a good manual bender for under $100...if you don't plan on using it that frequently. Yes it will require a little more physical effort, but it's really not that big of a deal. I've used both many a times, and they can both be exptremely efficient and accurate.

I say do it. There's nothing better than saying you built it yourself.

I have that bender and it will bend tubing.......but it also kinks in from the little spreader wheels on the top. Leaves little dents in the tube. I was going to built my own too, but after a few try's with the bender i said $%&^$% that and thought a few hundred $$ is worth my life and the life of my passengers..........

I have used that for tubing, not the prettiest bends, and the method of which it accually bends the tubing would make me question the tubing integtity.

I am going to echo what sully said, use a accetolene tourch, and heat the tobing till red hot, then use a old wheel to bend it. takes a huge metal table and some muscle, but IMHO, the cheapest and most cost effective way. if you desire a tighted bend, use a brake drum off a older Honda civc, I got tow junk drums from teh local scrap yard for free, I clamp them onto the table and use one as the mandral or pivot and the other as the "stop" or oposite fulcrum.

RE: Re: the end of my world...

Have you guys ever tried that heating it up and bending it around a rim trick yourselves? With tubing?

RE: Re: RE: Re: the end of my world...

Junkpile said:
Have you guys ever tried that heating it up and bending it around a rim trick yourselves? With tubing?

I would never want to have to do that for a whole cage. It would be a pain to say the least.

And it's not like that's exactly a free route to go...considering you'll be using a ton of Oxygen and Accetaline :wink: .

I think a descent quality manual tube bender is the way to go for a situation like this.

Back