Low$ skidplate clearance

4lowlife

Jeep gurus, whadday think?

I have a 2.5 95 YJ with 2.5 inch sus lifet and a dropped skidplate with 1 inch spacers.

I had a look at where the Tcase is bolted to the skid plate. Seems like I can replace the tall rubber mount with something shorter.

I have old poly main eye bushes lying around. So I thought I cut them up to replace the OEM rubber at the 3 bolt points, therefore eliminating the 1 inch spacers and still have a dropped T-case. Nett, I improve skid plate clearance by 1".

Anyone done this?

Appreciate any input.[addsig]

dont be afraid to experment, you may have just come up w/ an good sloution[addsig]

I would make sure you have some clearence between your skip plate and T-case in "CASE" you do hit that one rock wrong and bend the skid plate up into the t-case clearence area.
But that is my 2 cents worth...been there and replaced my skid plate before.[addsig]

Make it and they will buy it ....haahahahahaa :lol: :lol:

I wanna see a pic...huh?[addsig]

Ok, just need the free time to go do some trial and error work, hopefully this weekend. It looks very possible. Will take some pics if I manage to get them done! Fingers crossed.[addsig]

Why the need for the transfer case drop with only 2.5" of lift?[addsig]

the reason you lowered your tcase in the first place was to compensate for driveline angles...if you have vibrations from a lifted vehicle especially a yj,(because of the slip yoke)the driveshaft is usually the reason...there are other ways to fix drivshaft angle problems such as degree wedges in the rear axle to tilt the pinion back toward the tcase...but in your case 2.5 inches doesnt even need the tcase to be dropped....unless you notice bad vibrations...i have a 94 yj lifted 2 inches in the suspension aspect and i have no vibration whatsoever...i had a t case lowering kit but i took it off for ground clearence...a sye kit and double carden driveshaft would take out 99.9% of all your problems if you have vibration problems...to tell you the truth i would just take it completely off and see how bad the vibrations are ...if any....and remember having it lowered to far can be as bad if not worse than not enough

edited by: SkinWalker, Jul 16, 2003 - 04:00 PM[addsig]

Valid points, SW, kinda what I was leading towards. I wouldn't use the drop unless I was over 2.5", like 3.5" and up. Even then it'd be better to install a 1" BL and 1" MM lift to improve rear driveline angles, both of which will keep the skid up where it belongs.[addsig]

Views considered. Well to answer you bounty hunter, the spacers came with the Old Man Emu kit. So it kinda went in w/o question.

Now that SW says he's run 2 inch lift w/o vibes. I might just try that as a last resort.

But I'm still keen on replacing the tall stock ruber mount. Tat way, I get the best of both worlds - for no cost at all.

It's also just the fettling and fiddling that I like to do. Kinda therapeutic.

[addsig]

Watch for skidplate clearance at the transfer case rear output, and for exhaust clearance at the skidplate. If that exhaust is close at all, the rattle will drive you nuggin futs :lol: [addsig]

Back