Looking to get started

grdnstl

Need a vehicle for kids that will be driving soon and they have convinced me a Jeep is a good bet. I have been looking in Nebraska without much luck. I am looking for something that runs good without rust everywhere that can be driven and work on to improve over the next couple of years. Haven't had much interest until recently, but the videos and pictures on this site get me pretty excited. Current budget only allows for a purchase under $4000. Have seen several Jeeps available in Colorado, may drive to Denver for a look around. I'm not averse to travelling for the right deal.

thanks for reading my ramble

First of all, Welcome to Jeepz!! You couldn't have picked a better site for your all of your questions and good company! You can still find decent YJ's for 4k or less if you shop around, though it's going to be tough. My advice is to get one as close to stock as you can, and build it up yourself. That way, you know what's been done and who has done it, so there are no surprises.

Good luck, and keep us posted!
;)

Were at in Nebraska? I'm in Western Iowa so pretty much live in the Omaha Metro. Sounds like u may be in western Nebraska if ur talking about Colorado but figure I might as well ask. I do make a few trips west in summer

Sparky - thanks for the encouragment, I think this could be a great hobby. Just talked to a cousin who had an ealry 70's Jeep in the late 80's that he lifted, added a V-8, with 44 inch tires and at the time I thought is was silly. I guess it's just your place in life. By the way, can you help me with all of the Cj, YJ, etc. definitions? Are they trim packages like Sahara and Laredo, or do they have a more base meaning? Thanks to all for my late education.

Laph -I live in Kearney - Central NE., so it is only about a 4.5 hour drive to Denver. My wife has family in the area, so it's a common trip.

Well thats not to far away, My other half was born in Kearny and has family and friends still there. The CJ-7, YJ, WJ, TJ, XJ, Zj, XJ and what ever other J's I left out are Models and bodystyle/years CJ, TJ, YJ, are all 3 wranglers XJ are wagoneers, ZJ,WJ,JK's are Grand CHerokees... and that doesn't even scratch the surface good place to look is http://www.jedi.com/obiwan/jeep/misc/models.html will tell you most everything, it's where I started to figure out what every one was talking about. also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler has good info. Good Luck and Welcome to Jeepz, will have to stop by on the way out west after u find a jeep.

CJ's were from the early 70's (or possibly before?) through 1987. Then, YJ's came along through 95. There was no Jeep model in '96. '97 and newer are TJ's. Each model changed just a bit here or there, but all have been just as capable as the previous, if not more capable. Main points on the YJ over CJ were an actual dash board instead of flat metal panel with a couple of guages, and square headlights. Main points on TJ over YJ were the wussy looking dashboards ( some would say "carlike"), coil springs instead of leaf springs (again, very "carlike"), airbags ("carlike"), and the windshield tilts back a few degrees more than that of the YJ and CJ (sorta "carlike").

You can find a good used jeep for a good price, you just have to search and keep an eye out for it.

Last edited:
This will sound like blasphamy on this board, but I would recommend against buying a jeep for new drivers. I am a jeep lover, but I'm 40 years old and an experienced driver. Any SUV has worse handling characteristics than a sedan. Any of the Wrangler-style jeeps (CJ, YJ, and TJ) have not only SUV height in proportion to their track width, but a short wheel base (SWB), as well. Driving a SWB vehicle is difficult, and different rules apply. Well, more to the point, a mistake that makes you sweat in a car will cause an accident in a jeep. Young drivers have their hands full learning the rules of relative motion of vehicles, the rules of the road, and how to anticipate other drivers' actions. They don't need to be driving a SWB jeep, as well. I'm sure my opinion will not be popular on this site, but I think safety of the kids, as well as that of other drivers, is paramount.

go for a grand . Iv got a 98 that I got for 1800.00 everything works runs great. found mine on ebay and only 20 miles from home. Its my first jeep and love it.

This will sound like blasphamy on this board, but I would recommend against buying a jeep for new drivers. I am a jeep lover, but I'm 40 years old and an experienced driver. Any SUV has worse handling characteristics than a sedan. Any of the Wrangler-style jeeps (CJ, YJ, and TJ) have not only SUV height in proportion to their track width, but a short wheel base (SWB), as well. Driving a SWB vehicle is difficult, and different rules apply. Well, more to the point, a mistake that makes you sweat in a car will cause an accident in a jeep. Young drivers have their hands full learning the rules of relative motion of vehicles, the rules of the road, and how to anticipate other drivers' actions. They don't need to be driving a SWB jeep, as well. I'm sure my opinion will not be popular on this site, but I think safety of the kids, as well as that of other drivers, is paramount.

Not blasphemy......just sounds like a concerned parent (or old enough to know how stupid we were when we were younger!!!). I can definitely see your point....you overcorrect in a SWB (oops, dropped the cell phone.......what radio station was that??...........he said, she said WHAT???? [looking at passengers instead of the road]) and you're in a side-roll down the middle of the road :shock: .......... Maybe if you restrict it to ONLY off-road!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back