Lincoln Locker pics

What are the advantages with road handling between the front and the rear?
I am really starting to think about doing this now. My XJ is a daily driver. so I want it to be safe.

That aside, which is better performance-wise. Front or rear lock?

Yes I can still remove the the clips/axles. On road is fine, Except real tight turns. You just here the inside tire slide a little. But not a problem.

If you weld your front only, you can still drive. The front driveshaft will spin. I Think 88wrangles Just did it. If you have the front axle disconnect. I believe ZJ's Dont.

If you're going to lock one axle, best offroad performance is gained by locking the rear.

I wouldn't recommend locking the front of a full-time 4wd jeep, the steering will be tough unless you can rig an axle disconnect.

Seems there are more and more in my club welding thier diffs, especially after seeing how well it has worked onroad and off for me over the past few years. We had a huge trailride this past weekend and 3 jeeps in my group were wheelin lincoln lockers, with great success. We all drove 2+ hours home afterwards, no trailer queens.

White said:
If you weld your front only, you can still drive. The front driveshaft will spin. I Think 88wrangles Just did it.

No, still haven't done it yet. I am friends with a guy who has done it many times, so I think I'll have him do it when he gets a chance.

Bounty, is the way that White did it the way you did yours? I want to make sure there is no way it can break and do any damage. And, I still want the option of removing it.

no mini spool manufactured for the d30 or d35.... welded spiders and a mini spool are basically the same thing.... different manufacture process and different shape... both accept the axle splines and connect them as one piece

Actually, I have a Chrysler 8.25. Anyone know of any problems with welding this diff?

BH, I know you have some experience with them. I have read that the carrier is made in such a way that it's difficult to get into the spider gears and weld them. How true is this? I just want to be prepared. If I do this, those retreads will look more and more enticing.

And, evidentally, nobody makes a spool or mini spool for the 8.25". So mute point there. But wouldn't the advantage of a mini spool be removablility?

mingez said:
But wouldn't the advantage of a mini spool be removablility?

Sure it would, but after the first time you see how much more traction you have offroad, you'll never consider removing it!

The 8.25 is a strong axle and a great candidate for welding up. I've seen it done on an 8.25 once.

I wish minispools were made for these applications, I'd have one. I'd even buy a full spool if it were priced right.

Both my D44's will be spooled when they go in. The front D44 is from a Waggy with vacuum disco at the diff, funky cover looks almost like a vacuum actuated locker.

Ok, so I was talking to a guy today about weldingmy D35 and he was saying something about little pieces of the weld coming off and then causeing damage in there. What kind of damage could be caused?

I don't know much about differentials, so I have another question. He wants me to take rear end to him, off of the vehicle. Should I take the whole axles housing and everything, or are the parts that need to be welded easy to get out? What all do I need to bring, besides the spiders?

I think its easier to align the axles in the diff.
Not sure what hes planning. After I welded My diff. I Put a magnet on the diff cover to catch "anything metal" ... If its done right, I can't see anything flying off.... If i had a jeep 35, I would weld it and send it your way.

this has caught my eye but im still nto exactly clear on the details, i think i see how it all works but if i left it out of 4wd while driving daily would it spin freely like normal?

currupt4130 said:
this has caught my eye but im still nto exactly clear on the details, i think i see how it all works but if i left it out of 4wd while driving daily would it spin freely like normal?

Nope, it's locked all the time. The spider gears alow the left and right tire spin seperately, which allows it to go around corners. Welding them causes them to not rotate freely any more, just like a locker does when it is locked

little pieces of the weld coming off and then causeing damage in there

if you weld with the right gas, and the right flow.... you won't have to worry about that... and... make sure you clean the job when it is done.... bounty is a great example of how a job done right can prove great

I wouldn't bother pulling an axle or the internals to have it welded. It can be done easily in the jeep.

Should this not be done with a stick welder because of the splatter/slag? The reason I ask is I know someone with a welder but it's a stick, not a mig.

especially for you long wheelbase owners... not a bad idea... it won't take as much toll on your tires

Back