Let's talk about Frame Repair!

Tug-n-pull

Well here is the deal, Of all things I have a chance to pick up a surprise CJ with a couple of frame problems! there is a rusted out area just in front of the back wheel driver side right where the break lines are mounted to the frame if that makes any sence at all. Only rusted out on the inside of the frame outside seems solid. there is a couple of partial cracks in the frame as well.

All of this is not a real big deal to me as long as I can research the best ways to do the needed welding repairs. Then again maybe I can find another frame some where down the road and do a frame up rebuild useing the above mentioned jeep as a donor for the project.

The above mentioned Jeep is a good solid running CJ just has this frame problem to deal with. Any frame repair experence and or help would be much appreciated. I will go out tomorow and get a few pics of the problems and post them to how pull this request togather. Thanks Tug

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Tug-n-pull said:
YJ enough said! tug

OMG! here we go again...

Say it ain't so Tug, say it ain't so! You sure that's not just Jeep withdrawl mixing up your head a bit?

I know it's killin' ya but you can hold out. As soon as you buy it some guy is going to pull a sweet 4.0 YJ out of the garage and park it by the road with a for sale sign on it and you're going to want to kick yourself square in the arse.

hehehehe ya you are right but this one is such a deal and you know I might be able to use it for a trader to get the YJ when it comes around. But mostly I was thinking it could be great starter Jeep for my 14 year old Jake! He has been saven up his summer job money and really wants a Jeep to fix up for the big sweet 16 when he gets his DL! Who knows it is just a great deal and I know the jeep! It is Tugly! The new owner found the frame damage and freaked out so he is willing to sell it cheap. I got word through the grapevine and thought I would look into it! I know what is good and bad with the ol gal just would want to fix the frame if I got her back! know what I'm saying. tug

For once, I am without words.

Ok, I'm feeling better. LOL

Tugly 'eh? Heck you've got alot into that CJ, who could blame ya.

Re: This is not directed at one particular person, maybe a f

Well the frame is shot to the point that I would never feel safe in it with out a swap out. No wonder the ol thing flexed as good as it did. So the recovery of tugly is shot down unless I can find a cj to use as a bone and or bone and body doner! Just the ol tugly has been just about rebuilt running gear wise. New cooling system through out, 2150 carb new and so much more. Oh well! tug

And tugly had the t-18a in it, right? If nothing else you could use it for donor parts if you were to find another with a shot drive train...

CJ frames are not that hard to come by if you rally want to do the swap. I saw one on e-bay the other day going cheap. I even saw a complete new wiring harness for $200 if you needed one of those. A frame swap would also be nice so that you could get a chance to undercoat the body and clean up all that other nasty stuff under there. Plus it would be a good way to teach your son how to take the Jeep all the way apart and put it back together again.
Sounds like a fun project.
As for frame repair for any of you interested:
Cut out the rusted area and make a plate out of 1/4" steel to cover it. You want the ends shaped kind of like this <>. That way the welds aren't vertical and won't be prone to starting new cracks under stress. It's really pretty simple if the damaged section isn't too large.
I repaired a section of my frame where the front shock mount got ripped out of the frame. It has been that way for 4 years and still holding strong.

You need to get SOMETHIN', Tug - you and I are too close to each other. I'll even drive the Mrs. YJ up there so you can save all your TJ comments to use here! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back