Key transponders

black94yj

anybody know anything about these transponders in the keys of your jeep??--went to get a key cut and they told me that i had to go to the dealer--that don't sound good--any advice??--2006 rubicon--Thanks in advance--

well you can go to walmart and get some 3 dollar keys cut but in order for those keys to work the original transponder key has to be somewhere close to the ignition, which would kind of be pointless.

but yes you do have to get one from the dealership or a locksmith.

anybody know anything about these transponders in the keys of your jeep??--went to get a key cut and they told me that i had to go to the dealer--that don't sound good--any advice??--2006 rubicon--Thanks in advance--

I'm assuming the key is grey in color. There are some available from a Walmart store , Home Depot etc. that will work but you still have to go to a Dealer to get it programmed. It requires a pin code thats unique from every other vehicles equipped with a SKIM or is now known as SKREEM during programming. An experienced locksmith can do the job with the use of a special programmer, however, i've seen a few of the aftermarket keys fail and ends up leaving the driver stranded and in some occasions, the transponder in the aftermarket key keeps causing the SKREEM to throw erroneus DTC's that will intermittently cause a no start.

took my key to walmart today--they said that it did not have a chip in it--do all of the newer jeeps have this transponder in them??--my key has the black rubber on it--someone said it is supposed to be gray--what do you think??

there is a way to program your own key, the instructions are in the owners manual ( at least in my 2005 they are) its a strange processs that requires you to pretty much dance around nekkid waving a chicken over your head, but supposedly it works. If you want I can send you the instructions. I dont wanna type them out here as I hate typing and its a long process.

LOL Cabin Guy:lol:

black94yj- If the original key is black, it doesn't have the transponder chip in it meaning, it's not equipped with the Skreem option.The gray keys does. This is not a standard equipment on all the Jeep lines , for now so no, its not in all the newer Jeeps. On the GM's newer vehicles, if there's a circle with a plus sign on the metal part of the key, it is a transponder key.

thanks alot--that is all that i could think of--not all have this equipment--thanks again

You can program it yourself as cabin guy says, It does consist of some weird directions like beep the horn 5 times, turn on lights, hit a certin nobb on the radio, all with the new key in the ignition. Its sounds funny but ive done it on other cars. And yes your manual does have the process. A dealer uses the same process only charges 50-75 bucks..

Back