Just wanted to say Hey. Hey...(and a top question)

southtj

Obviously you can tell I'm alittle new here by the number of posts that should be to the left. I've been lurking for a week or so reading the posts and ya'll seem to be a nice bunch of folks, so I joined in.

I'm new to Jeeps (first one on order, should be here in Sept) and it's been awhile since I sold my 81 Bronco w/4" lift. 1992 I think I sold that gas guzzler.

I do have one question. I have ordered the hard and the soft top and was wondering. Will I be able to remove the hard top by myself? My wife might be able to help some but I'll probably be on my own. The Bronco had a top that was removable and I could get underneath it and lift it up on my back and walk it out. What about the Jeep?

Any other advice or info you think a new Jeeper should have, please feel free to offer it up.

they make hoists that use pulleys to lift hard tops up, i dont have one or those or a hard top so i cant be much help.... what kinda jeep didja order, and i cant help but notice the 442 in your name.... do u have a 442 also?

I take mine off by myself but it is alittle harder to put on by myself ....But then again my jeep sitts on 33's and has a 6" lift ....Do you have a garage ??? Oh and WELCOME....

Welcome to the board.When my friend and I remove his hard top off his YJ we both lift it and move it.Makes it alot easier.If you want to do it by your self and have the money,you could buy a essy remove hard top thingy.

"easy remove hard top thingy" LMAO ....that is funny we need to put that in famous jeep sayings that jeepers would only understand.....:)

Tom Sawyer the dang thing! Call a buddy or two over for a beverage or two and then just start in taken it off they will want to help by sheer human nature. Tell them know it is a serious job that requires a special talent and you will be fine. Then they will want to help or bust. then set back drink the beverage and watch as the others take it off for you. tug

Welcome to the site, to give you an idea of what you are in for and using what knowledge you have, the top is about the same weight as that of a bronce, I also have a 77 blazer with a top I use to take off regularly. The jeep top is a bit more stable to carry with two people than that of my blazers. As previously stated, you can buy hoists and stuff, but if you take it off and put it on once a year, the money in a waste. Spend that cash on Mods to the jeep!
Just ask a bud of yours to come over for five minutes, pull off, give him a beer for his troubles then take him for a toppless ride (the jeep that is) He will most likely be glad to help, so tell him to show up again when top changing time comes again.

Johnny

Thanks for the welcomes and info. To answer some of your questions...I've ordered a 2004 Sahara with the D44s and 5 speed. It should be here mid-Sept I hope. As to the 442 in my name, I do have a 71 Convertible 442 (red w/white int) in the driveway right now but I sold it to a guy in Chicago to buy the Jeep. He just hasn't made the shipping arrangements yet. I hope I made the right decision. I guess it's time for a new screen name too.

We have no garage but at the office we have some extra warehouse space where I kept the 442 in the winter, so maybe I can keep the top there in the summer and use some help from the guys in the shop for labor.

Thanks guys.

___0/
olllllllo
U.....U

Did you have the Husrt his and hers shifter in that 442?? (The one where it was a regular auto to the right, but pull the shift lever to the right and it was a hurst gate shifter, right?) I love muscle cars and old iron (2 or 4 wheels) Building a 41 plymouth 100% steel body, frame up!

Welcome to the board. If your wife is willing to help, it do-able. When my hard top comes off for the summmer I help my husband, And I weigh all of 100lbs. He could do it himself but I figure whats 5 minutes of my time?

Back