JEEP!!!

TwistedCU

Getting really frustrated after not hearing from him, I looked the guy's address up via a reverse # lookup on the 'net, picked up my Brother-in Law, then drove the 1 hour down there (unannounced and uninvited). He was at work but his wife opened the garage for me and after 4 hours of working on the Jeep, I handed over the cash, he handed over the title (he was home by then), and I drove her home :D

Other than needing a rear main seal badly ('cause it leaked a half quart on the one hour ride home), it ran great, quiet, idled smooth once it warmed up, shifted smooth (which really was a pleasant surprise for the french 5 speed), 4wd worked great in both ranges.

The frame, doors, and body are in exceptional condition - (the steel, not the paint which looks like hell) even better than my '92, and the only rust was surface rust on the hood.

the front bumper is a little messed up, but the bumpers are chrome and I don't like them anyhow. There's also a chrome grill overlay which must go as well!

The hard top is in rough shape but works and does not appear to leak.

The interior takes disgusting to a whole new level, but under the nasty carpet is a rust-free floor. The seats are cloth and look as bad as the carpet.

It has a Bestop Sunrider top that came with it also, but I will probably sell it'cause it is spice in color and I will probably end up getting a black supertop.

All in all, it is actually in much better shape than I expected. I'm sure some problems will surface, but for the most part I think with a rear main seal, a new windshield, ripping out the carpet, some seatcovers, and some paint I will have what proved to be quite a STEAL for $500. Then we can build it up :twisted:

It was already worth the wait, because on the way home, a new looking yellow TJ passed me and the dude driving and his gal gave me a big ol' Jeep wave...

... and all was right with the world :D

1987 Jeep YJ Laredo, 5 sp, 6 cyl:
87YJ4-3.jpg

87YJ3-3.jpg

87YJ2-3.jpg

bryanjeep said:
how much for the grille overlay?

It's dirty as hell, but if it comes off intact and you still want it you can have it for the postage, I'll throw in the chrome headlight bezels if you trade me yours :wink:

Yeah, junkpile - finally :lol:

Nice deal.. I say clean it up and resell it for something with Fuel Injection...
I assume it has no fuel injection..
When will be the first trip to Paragon Or Roush..

Yea man! I am glad you went down there and made the guy give you the jeep. HAHAHA! Nice jeep for $500!

Nope, still has the POS carter carb. SELL IT??? Damn I just got it! :lol: Nah, I'm going to keep it a while. I know EFI has major advantages, but I like the idea of being able to work on it all myself, and teaching my son a thing or three along the way.

PAragon may be a while - I have a lot going on with preparing to move to PA. Lots of work on this one to sell it and to the other before we move in.

work work work work work :x

glad you finally got it.... now if i could find a 7 or 8 like that i would be set also

Thank God! Now we can go a day without hearing your cry about your lost YJ "Whitey". :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kiddin' congrats dude, and a hell of a deal...wow.

Awwwww... sorry dude. Didn't mean to open a wound.

Now you need name this jeep, how about "Pinky". Heehehehehehehee

XJNick, question

Way to take matters into your own hands Twisted! Does that mean you need some revolvers? :D

NY/MA/CT trail ride

Bet the ol boy was glad to see you and your brother-n-law! heheehehe You did the right thing I bet the ol boys wife was saying please get that hunk of crap out of the garage so I can get my mini van inside and he was draggen his feet wanting to keep the jeep! Good you did not have to take my road and punch the ol hard head might have messed up your hands, ha tug

mingez said:
Thank God! Now we can go a day without hearing your cry about your lost YJ "Whitey". :lol: :lol: :lol:

whitney belonged to another jeeper all togather dude! not TwistedCopper. tug

Dam, $500? That's an awesome deal!! Congratulations.

Tug--Who owned Whitey then?

Thats the way to do it. It probably made him a little uncomfortable but I bet he didn't want to deal with the jeep anymore let alone the nagging. That is a sweet deal it looks like it has been a streeter and would love to hit the dirt.

Somebody may have owned a "Whitney", but this "WHITEY" was my baby:
image-missing.png

Tug - Yeah the slug in the mouth never had to be. His wife was real eager to get rid of it. I probably could have haggled down even lower, but the way she lit into him when he got home I didn't have the heart :lol:

I ripped the stinky carpet out tonight after my Son's little league game (my little "Brooks Robinson" got the game ball tonight for his diving catches on 3rd base!!!). Looks (and smells) much better! Underneath is real clean.

Tug-n-pull said:
mingez said:

whitney belonged to another jeeper all togather dude! not TwistedCopper. tug

Actually, I'm pretty sure it was Whitey.

::::Later, after searching some old threads::::::

Okay, I dug up an old thread. I thought I was loosing it for a second. TwistedCopper's Jeep was definetly named "Whitey". Here's the "Jeep name" thread:
http://www.jeepz.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=322204&highlight=whitey

Back