Jeep Unlimited on the Rubicon Trail

RE: Polar Bears

I happened to catch a TV show yesterday called "4-Wheel America" or something like it. On the show, they were given a brand new Jeep Unlimited and a seemingly endless budget to fix it up for the Rubicon Trail. They put on a 3" lift, swapped to a Dana 44, 37" tires, ARB lockers, and a few other smaller add-ons. The best part of the show, however, was all the footage they ran of the 52nd annual Jeep Jamboree at the Rubicon! Oh, man.....before I die, I WILL drive the Rubicon!!

The longer wheelbase Jeep gave them a couple of problems they weren't ready for or used to. The guys that did the mods and driving had driven the Rubicon before, but always in a SWB Jeep. They lost an airline on the ARB pretty much right off the bat, so were "limping along" in 3wd the rest of the way. They said the worst of it was that since the Unlimited is so new, they couldn't find any skid plates or other protective armor for it, and as such, ended up with some severely damaged rocker panels. Aside from that, they were quite impressed with the Unlimited's performance.

One of the funnier parts of the show was a guy that had never off-roaded before trying to drive a YJ. Given that he is a rookie, I can understand some of the problems. However, he was with a veteran navigator, and she was giving him pointers all the way. Several times they showed him "crawling" over some boulders along the trail, but to me it appeared as though he was in 4-hi, not 4-lo, as he seemed to be driving over them at some pretty excessive speeds, bouncing and banging the Jeep all over the place. You'd think she could have instructed him to take them a bit slower, but she never did, at least not on camera.

Anyway, it was a great show, and I wondered if anyone else had seen it. Yeah....I was born to run the Rubicon, I know it now in my heart of hearts.....and some day, I will do it, mark my words!

I missed that one Sparky, sounds like it was a cool show. I too would like to wheel the RT someday.

RE: Re: RE: Re: Yea the super bowl is over!!

Its not all that hard....going back to tahoe this summer before all the jamboree's get in and level it...Very nice area...long trail though.

I went the weekend before the 52nd annual jeep jamboree. Our group planned it that way because after the jamboree rubicon is like a paved road. Or so I hear. Hey YJ dave, what dates were you there and what were you driving? I was there the 17th through the 20th.

RE: Re: RE: Jeep Unlimited on the Rubicon Trail

LadyJeepFreak said:
Where is the RT by the way? It does sound like a way cool show !

Lady
From Georgetown, CA to the west side of Lake Tahoe.

rubi_map-4.jpeg

Dodge sneek peek Electric swaybar Disco

You know, I can remember back when I was just a wee tot looking at some magazine at my uncle's house and seeing pics of the Rubicon Trail, and all these old Jeeps and Land Rovers straddling boulder's and such. I think that's when my first real idea came that I wanted to go there. Then I spent a week with my two uncles in Arizona 4-wheeling up the side of a mountain to a remote campsite in a 1964 Jeep and a similar aged Land Rover, over some similar terrain. All I had ever seen of the Rubi was pictures until I saw this show, and the video images are what drove me over the edge.....

Sully, last year i went the first week of aug, lots of stacked rocks. This year hopefully early june. Driving a yj w/d44s f/r locked 35" mtr, winch,oba,blah blah blah...i'll post something when dates get finallized.

RE: Jeep Compass ?

Soooo that's were it is.... went thru Sacramento on 99 last Thursday and Saturday, not that far from my home 20, 10-4. LBR

yjdave said:
Sully, last year i went the first week of aug, lots of stacked rocks. This year hopefully early june. Driving a yj w/d44s f/r locked 35" mtr, winch,oba,blah blah blah...i'll post something when dates get finallized.

Sweet! I am going back for 3 days this summer. Sometime in July like I did last year. Before the jamboree. Where are you located? I'm in socal.

Im by portland,OR...The lambo's hit the last 2 weeks of july then you got the madhouse on the 4th weekend,plus we have a big weekend jamboree in the tillamook national forest in the middle of july, so i'll probably try to get down either middle to end of june before the 4th of july for shur,or i;ll have to wait until August again....but kina hot.........LBR....where you at in oregon?????????/

Back