Jeep turns over for a long time b4 starting

dea2042

I have a 97 grand cherokee tsi (with 239K miles). It is turning over for a long time before actually starting (it does still start every time, but it is getting worse and worse). It then shutters and makes some noises for a few seconds after finally starting. If I turn it off just for a small amount of time (less than a half hour) and then start it back up it doesn't have this problem, usually starts right up. Anyone have any idea what the problem is? Fuel pump?

I am sure everybody will want a little more background, most importantly, has it ever been tuned up? Plugs wires etc.

Yes, it did have a tune up about a year ago. Once in a while I will be driving it and it will want to stall out, I press on the gas, it does nothing and acts like it's going to stall out (lots of rumbling and shaking). It will do it for a few minutes and then goes back to running normal (this happens about once a month, no rhyme or reason to it). Other than that it doesn't really have any other issues. It has the original trans and engine as well. Any input is appreciated. Don't want to have to put too much $ into it with the amount of miles, I read that a lot of times if the fuel pump relay is not working right it can cause this? I know nothing about cars, so I am pretty lost.

Run a fuel pressure leak down test. With a fuel pressure test gauge attached to the fuel rail, turn the ignition ket to the run position(engine NOT running). verify that the fuel pressure is within spec. Turn the key to the off position and monitor the fuel pressure gauge. The pressure regulator is a mechanical device that is not controlled by engine vacuum or the Powertrain Control Module (PCM)
The regulator is calibrated to maintain fuel system operating pressure of approximately 339 kPa ± 34 kPa (49.2 psi ± 5 psi) at the fuel injectors. It contains a diaphragm, calibrated springs and a fuel return valve. The internal fuel filter is also part of the assembly. The pressure regulator is a mechanical device that is not controlled by engine vacuum or the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The regulator acts as a check valve to maintain some fuel pressure when the engine is not operating. This will help to start the engine. A second check valve is located at the outlet end of the electric fuel pump.With this, the pressure should stay in the fuel rail for not less than 5 mins. IF the pressure drops close to zero in less than 5 mins. it's likely that the fuel pressure regulator is faulty.

Back