Jeep Prospects

jimmy986

Hello, I'm new to the forums and have not yet purchased my Jeep but will be purchasing one here within the next couple weeks. I don't know much about them other than what i have heard from friends so I wanted to get some input from people that know more than me. There are three that I am currently looking at. One is a 2009 Sahara. obviously this is going to have the most frills and what not being the newest. its got a price tag of about $26000 or there abouts. the next one is a 2008 Jeep X model. This is one the dealer got from another dealer that went out of business so its marked down to around $20800. i know its a good deal but i really dont like the look of those models. I think they are too boxy and the huge black wheel wells stick way out too much for my tastes. the thing that saves the 09 sahara is that the wheel wells are the same color as the body so it doesnt bother me. the other thing i am not sure about is the fact that it is the X model. from what i have read the sahara model would be much better for off roading. it comes with the better wheels and what not(although what else im not entirely sure). the last option is a 2003 sahara. this one is used with around 39000 miles and around $16000. i really like the slimmer body as far as looks go. also it is a sahara again so i assume it will be little better for off roading but i guess someone can correct that for me. also, they are all standards. i drove the 2009 and i noticed that it was very quiet in comparison to others that i have ridden in, although those were much older, like 1995. i have not yet tested the 2003 so i will have to see what its like but other than anything ill see from driving, which would be the best way to go or what do i need to consider as far as differences go between these? Thanks a lot.

When looking at the aggressiveness of the jeep and the OEM tires, consider what you want to do with the jeep and if you would even go as far as changing the tires on the Sahara. The $5200 difference between the Sahara and the X would buy a ton of modifications, like a lift kit, larger wheels and tires, winch, bikini top, etc.

I have a 2007 Sahara and of course I love it. A friend of mine has a 2007 X. The main thing between the 2 is whether or not the Sahara has the tow package. I had the tow package added to mine so I have 4:10 gear ratio. The X comes standard with 3:21. I'm not sure about the 2009 X but the 2007 X did not have side steps, center console and the hood is not insulated.

You can go to jeep.com and do a side by side compare of the 2 models.

Standard features on 2008 Jeep Wranglers:
RUBICON | SAHARA | X
$28,765|$25,660|$23,045
15 city/19 hwy|15 city/19 hwy|15 city/19 hwy
4:1 Rock-Trac Part-Time 4WD | Command-Trac 4WD System | Command-Trac 4WD System
Dana 44 Front Axle||
Tru-Lok(R) Electronic Locking Frt/Rr Differentials||
17" x 7.5" Machined Cast Aluminum Wheels|18" x 7.5" Machined Cast Aluminum Wheels|17" x 7.5" Aluminum Wheels
LT255/75R17 BSW Off-Road Tires|P255/70R18 OWL On-/Off-Road Tires|P255/75R17 OWL On-/Off-Road Tires
Premium Cloth|Premium Cloth|Cloth Seats
SIRIUS Satellite Radio|SIRIUS Satellite Radio|
368W 7-Speaker Infinity(R) & Subwoofer|368W 7-Speaker Infinity(R) & Subwoofer|6 Speakers

You can add quite a bit to just about any model, including the following:

Full-Length Floor Console
Full Metal Doors with Roll-up Windows
Sunrider(R) Soft Top
Air Conditioning
Fog LampsRock Rails
Speed Control
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
Performance Suspension
Electronic Front Sway Bar Disconnect
Fuel Tank Skid Plate Shield
Transfer Case Skid Plate Shield