Jeep in dash radios...

cewtwo

I just bought a new radio for the Mighty YJ.

It is a JVC KD-G720. I bought it because it is the best sounding unit with an USB port that I could afford.

The USB port is great. It plays MP3/WMA files from iPods, other MP3 players and thumb drives.

I went with USB as CD drive mechanisms don't operate too well in an active back-country Jeep after a while.

What radios did the rest of you go with? Do you count the radio as a mod to the Jeep?

What radios did the rest of you go with? Do you count the radio as a mod to the Jeep?

Funny you should mention this...

I have had a Clarion RT1700 since the early 1990's. It has been in 4 other vehicles. It is a rather rare breed, especially today. It's a "2-shaft" radio, you know - volume knob on left, tuning knob on right. This was Clarion's top 2-shaft radio back in it's time, having an excellent FM tuner and lots of clean power. It has the best tuner of any car radio I have ever owned (Magi-Tune), and I have had some high end in-dash CD units since.

That thing has been in storage for years. I came across it when we moved to PA and I decided it would go into my next Jeep. I installed it just before our trip to the Shanendoah and what a difference in reception! It may look silly, especially to the younger guys who don't remember 2 shaft radios but I love it and wouldn't trade it for nuttin' :!:

I had to fabricate my own installation kit to put it in the YJ. They used to make kits for them but I couldn't find one.

This is what it looks like, but the pic is of the more weakly powered, less feature filled model :lol:
61c4_1JPG-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm all about Alpine head units

Currently using an Alpine CDA-9856. Main reason I got it was for the ipod interface stuff. works well, but too many buttons that i don't know what they do

i also went with the mp3 player addition. ihave a "duel" c d player mounted in a tuffy overhead mounting. i justhad to get a 1 foot patch cable from the headphone jack on the mp3 to the plugfor the aux in. and ithas a kicking fm tuner in the mp3 player.lol inever bought and installed a longer antenna cable for the radio. so i was playing just cd's since last june. i love the no skip with the mp3 and loads of songs i can play from.

I got the Pioneer DEH-P4800MP for the YJ. Also MP3 compatible, though I don't have an MP3 player yet. I've always had great luck with Pioneers, though my old Toy had a Clarion unit in it that was pretty dang awesome. I could pick up Wichita stations on my farm, 175 miles away as the crow flies, with that stereo. Any other stereos I had wouldn't get them past El Dorado, about 60 miles out (because just before El Dorado you drop off into the Flint Hills, which do a good job of blocking signals).

Clarion VR925XD or something like that....... it's a touchscreen dvd player, but after too many days topless in the rain, it's "quirky" and the touchscreen no longer works.... but it still plays dvd's and MP3's

Sony gt-400 here. Very easy to use, good for my subs, and although it skips if you hit bumps too hard offroad it is very durable. I was climbing a ledge and was sitting almost straight up and down and the whole thing came out of it's overhead compartment smacked my windshield and sat there swinging and played the whole time. Now i lock it in before i climb ledges.:lol:

yea im one of those young guys with the new radios.... i have a dual head unit with the 2 way face plate... it is very durable when im off road and it powers my two 12 inch subs and my 1200 watt amp very nicely... like some of the other guys i had to screw my unit into the dash because i had 1 or 2 instances where it came completely out of place and yet it was still playin strong....:lol:

My problems always seem to be water related!

Several years ago, Pioneer used to make stereos for marine applications. I put a few in Jeeps for that very reason. If they don't make them anymore, someone must...

I buy what ever they have cheep at the pon-shop. I'm fried enough with leaving the top off and before I fixed the water leak from behind the dash to not want to pay much for one. I've had a Pioneer super tuner for a good while now and it does the job.

As for the Marine head units just pick up a Bass Pro Catalog there are a couple in there. I think Clarion still makes some good ones.

marine head units is one thing.... but mine has a retractable touch screen (used to be) screen..... like I said.... it's a dvd player. it still plays dvd/mp3 just isn't touch screen capable anymore....... the head unit suffered too much water damage, and I'm too cheap to replace it.

yea im one of those young guys with the new radios.... i have a dual head unit with the 2 way face plate... it is very durable when im off road and it powers my two 12 inch subs and my 1200 watt amp very nicely... like some of the other guys i had to screw my unit into the dash because i had 1 or 2 instances where it came completely out of place and yet it was still playin strong....

yeah i have the same thing cost me $130.00 at wal mart. and it plays mp3s. reads out all the info from the cd like artest and name of the song. i like to leave it on so the guys in the backseat have something to watch. they get scaired when i drive and need to keep their minds busy

Sony Xplode, set me back 300, but it came with a remote and face comes off. Has a front port jack for my mp3 player, it an MP3/WMA player so thats 100 plus songs a CD. And its a pretty red and blue screen ^.^...2 year warrenty as well, so any off road accidents I take it in and get it fixed.

I used to have a remote head unit in my cyclone that consisted of the head unit in the glove box out of sight, RCA's that were concealed under the dash but whithin reach, and it was controlled via remote. It's main purpose was so I could keep the original AM radio look, but it was also nice because it kept the electronics concealed and out of the elements. It would be an easy install in most Jeep glove boxes

I still have the OEM deck, see no reason to fix what ain't broke!
Since when have us jeepers needed to break something to fix(a.k.a. upgrade)? You realize I'd have to wait forever for my tires to wear out instead of ordering them tomorrow. I wouldn't be able to take it i'd have to drive over nails intentionally or something. Someone please go spray his dash with water so he can "upgrade".:purple:

Since when have us jeepers needed to break something to fix(a.k.a. upgrade)? You realize I'd have to wait forever for my tires to wear out instead of ordering them tomorrow. I wouldn't be able to take it i'd have to drive over nails intentionally or something. Someone please go spray his dash with water so he can "upgrade".:purple:

My thoughts exactly!! I'm trying to figure out how to trash my diffs without damaging anything else so I can tell Sunshine I need to replace them....and the lockers that are in them!:lol:

Back