It's official....I'm a Jeep owner

Deerhunter30

I sold my pickup yesterday and picked up a 1983 CJ7 with hard top and A/C. I only got a half mile from the guy's house and the drive shaft fell out. Just to let you know, this is a clean jeep and well maintianed. But somehow one of the bolts on one of the rear u-joint straps had came loose and fallen out. Well I called the guy to bring me my tools (I had left all the stuff from inside my truck inside my house). After two trips we finally had the correct tool...a 12 point 1/4" box end wrench. I took the drive shaft out and drove home in "front wheel drive". Luckily for me, my brother-in-law works at a drive line shop, so we put new u-joints and yokes in it and it's running fine now. he did suggest that later we lengthen the back drive shaft and put it in front and build a new drive shaft for the back to beef up the drive line. AHHHHH the Jeep experience begins![addsig]

Congrats,Im suprised you had 12 points in your tool set.I could'nt take out the front driveshaft without that. :wink: Sully[addsig]

Congrats. If I were to do it all over again...I'd get a '70's CJ-5. Good luck with the neverending Jeep story you are now portraying. I'd probably hold off on the "beefing" up until all the plans are laid out, ie. lift, tires, etc. But it sounds as if that is already in the cards. Awesome. And it sounds like you have the right friends to help you with the improvements. Good luck and let us gaze upon the new addition to your family.[addsig]

image-missing.png

image-missing.png

Here she is. I am planning on doing a body lift. The previous owner had one still in the box so the price is right. I am only concerned about if the shifter will be three inches lower once I do that. Once I find out about that, it's a go.[addsig]

You can answere your own question here. The transmission & transfer case are bolted to the frame. The body sits on the frame. Now, by installing a 3" (I stink you mentioned) the body is going up, the transmission & tc are not.
Clean CJ btw! Something to consider before you install your body lift. Are you plannning a suspension lift anytime soon? If so, you'll probably get with the lift kit a transfer case lowering kit, ( to keep the driveline angles to a minimum) depending on the lift size, the transfer case lowering kit may be 1" or more. This kit will definatly lower your shifters! On top of this, install a 3" body lift, your shifters may end up below the floor! You'll probably have to cut the transmission opening so that the shifters won't touch the body thus interfering with shifting.
Personally, I think that a 3" body lift is too extreme. It looks goofey as hell as well. If you still plan on installing the body lift, there are a few things you'll need to do. You'll have to lower the radiator by the lift amount (3") You may have to modify the fan shroud too alittle. The steering shaft will need attention, as it'll become too short when the body is lifted that far. The brake lines, where they attach will need attention also.
Just some things to think about.

"Been there done that" with my CJ-5 course my jeep is lifted, with a 4" suspension and custome 2" body lift.

What kind of terrain do you have to wheel in? Mud, rocks, hills, sand?
You have the makings of a great trail rig. Long history behind the CJ series.

Enjoy your land boat ( you know, the hole in the air into which you pour money?) Or Just Empty Every Pocket :lol:

Later....

[addsig]

Wahoooo....good for you welcome to the jeep family ...very nice looking jeep very nice....time to give her a mud bath..... :-D :lol: :-D [addsig]

Let the games begain! That is a nice looking ride and you are now on ther road to being a full time mod junkie. Enjoy the ride. tug[addsig]

As far as the type of four wheeling that I will do, it will be mostly mud. I do not see myself doing any rock crawling or extreme four whelling. Just the occasional trip to the deer lease or fishing hole with muddy rutted dirt roads. That is part of the reason for considering putting on the body lift. I like the ride as it is and do not see a need for more suspesion travel. I just need a little clearance around the tires that are on it. I also like sitting a little higher so I can see around traffic a little better. My last truck was a little higher than the jeep and I would like to get back up to that height. I know this is a little "weak" compared to all of you hard core Jeepers, but that is honestly what I plan on doing with the vehicle.[addsig]

That is a gorgeous looking CJ7.
I need to find one of those! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back