Is it a bad idea to run 35"s with no power steering?

MuddinYJ88

Im running an 88 2.5 5speed with no ps and i was wondering if 35's are gonna be like turning a crankshaft on a seized engine... is it gonna be that bad? any advice would be great, u guys are awesome thank you!

Good forearm exercise! I've ran manual steering in a Jeep twice, with 36s on a YJ and 33s on a CJ, and the YJ was easier to turn. I wouldn't recommend it in a CJ unless it was a flatty, but your four cylinder YJ will be easy to handle after you get used to it.

I'm an old fart, so I remember well the days when power steering was an option. If memory serves, as long as you're rollin', it ain't so bad.........but trying to turn at a dead stop sucks with ANY size tire!! Always liked the "feel of the road" you got with manual steering, though.

RE: installing engine-any good manuals?

I think a 2.5 with 35's will suck much less the manual steering. You may want to stick with the 33's until you can bow up for a bigger engine and power steering.

Planning on re-gearing? You'll be eating clutches if not, not to mention how much of a dog it will be.

It'll be a workout for sure, but if you got the guns go for it. My YJ had no PS and 32's were easy to steer, and my wife drove it and never had a problem either (and she's only about 115 lbs when she's not pregnant :lol: ).

RE: Latest hacker

Our 76 CJ-5 has manual steering with 35" Monster Mudders and is no problem to steer....as long as it's moving. LBR

ahhhh... someone beat me to the popeye comparo... i had a 68 mustang w/o pwr steering - sucked parallel parking but loved the rest!

Back