installing shackles on a yj

Jimmer92yj

i have lift shackles and was wondering if anybody has a diagram or a step by step to installing as i dont want to lose a limb doing this

so far i have the gas tank out(straps broke and replacing the straps and skid plate anyways) and syphoned all gas out and have the jeep on jack stands

????????help?????????

I dont have step by step and it has been a few years since I messed with shackles.If I remember all you have to do is put the jeep on jack stands using the frame.This way the suspension can just hang.Put a jack under the axle and put just a little pressure up on the axle using the jack.Take out the bolt that holds the shackle in place.Install new shackle and bolt.All down.Since you have it apart you might want to change the bushing in the leaf spring.

I did find this site which explains it a little bit and has some easy tips that I never new about

http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257867

Last edited:
You're halfway there since the jeep is on jackstands. Just use a floorjack to support the axle. Jack up the axle just enough so there is no pressure on the shackles, neither compression nor extension. Unbolt and replace.

Keep in mind that a shackle lift will only lift the jeep half the difference in length between the old shackles and the new. It will also throw your pinion angles and caster off.

Also, you can differentiate how much compression you have on your springs if you aren't sure that it isn't being compressed or decompressed. On the side you are replacing first, put the jack under the axle on that side (with jackstands on the frame like the previous posts mentioned) and unbolt the top bolt on your shackle. You'll probably need a small punch or drift to get the bolt out of the hole. When the bolt is about halfway out, you should be able to tell if your spring has no load by the angle at which the bolt is set. Then, using your jack, you can raise or lower that side very slowly and watch the bolt become parallel to the ground. That's when there is no load.

Just curious, how much of a lift are these shackles?

There is a article in the Jeep Tech section about installing shackles. Check it out might have some useful info.

Back