im new

Corby0861

Hey I have a 98 wrangler tj sport with a 4" lift, i had 33" tires and recently got 35"s i noticed that the bigger tires took a little power going up hills and in the higher gears. so i got 4.10 gears with the understanding that the front and rear axles would fit the new gears, and they dont. What parts do i need in order to make the new gears fit and work properly.

Last edited:

Well I assume that you were running 3.56 gears or is it 3.73's? But any time you go from 3.56-3.93 to 4.10-4.88 or 5.35 depending on what rear axle you have, you have to change the carrier itself. The main difference is the offset from the carrier housing to the ring gear face. It needs to have a bigger offset due to the fact the head diameter of the pinion is larger than 3.56-3.93 pinion head diameter.

Are you planning on changing the gears your self?

Well I assume that you were running 3.56 gears or is it 3.73's? But any time you go from 3.56-3.93 to 4.10-4.88 or 5.35 depending on what rear axle you have, you have to change the carrier itself. The main difference is the offset from the carrier housing to the ring gear face. It needs to have a bigger offset due to the fact the head diameter of the pinion is larger than 3.56-3.93 pinion head diameter.

Are you planning on changing the gears your self?

Newbie here, so the carrier is a sperate part, not a complete fronta axle housing? What vehicles can you rob from to get 4:10 gears from? I also have a dana 35 rear axle is the font the same ,or is it a dana 30? They only offer 4:11 one and 4:10 on the other, please advise!!! I need help.

my rear is a dana 35 and front is a dana 30. ive been told that i need the bigger carrier, but the guy that looked at it said there was only 3.05 in it. i wasnt sure if anything beyond the carrier was involved with that much of a jump in the gears

you have an auto transmission?

i cannot help on your gearing question, just clarifying for the guys who can

4.0L 5spd often came with 3.07 gears, so you'll need a different carrier for each axle for the 4.10 axles. You can find them in any 2.5L 5spd Wrangler as that's most often 4.10 gears from the factory.

Often the easiest and cheapest upgrade is to find a pair of stock axles from a 2.5L 5spd TJ and swap them right in.

Even the same engine will be a hassle to swap... And if you are going to go through that, keep in mind that it often requires a lot of other changes (axles, transmission, radiator, etc.). If you are going for an engine swap, I recommend you go for the common changes (the more common, the more parts and information for the swap you will find), like a small block V8, but do NOT expect it to be cheap.

As Jfrabat says motor swapping isn't cheap or easy, but the folks over at Advanced Adapters have several pages of information on the most common engine swaps for TJ's. Hope this gives you a starting place.

Back