I think I bought a lemon

ZBTstang

Ive had my jeep (98 Tj 2.5L 84k) since october....heres whats been wrong with it so far:

-Fuel pump broke leaving me stranded on the highway (this was the second day I had it).:-(

-The catalytic convertor busted, had to replace it. :-O

-Faulty wires shorting out my dash lights :oops:

-Radiator completly went, had to replace it completly (Just so happened to be the day after my warranty was up) :roll:

-The computer died on me last week. Half the dash lights came on, the check engine light came one. The thing was throttling out of control. The horn came on by itself and got stuck. :-x

I love my jeep to death, but needless to say im not happy with the dealership I bought it from AT ALL. Over spring break was the first time since ive owned it where its been warm enough to clean and I found sand EVERYWHERE, caked on in the vents, in the creases where the soft top connected.....So I can only imagine what happened to the important parts underneath........ [addsig]

84k/5 years = 16k miles per year... that's a good bit for a car... most cars get about 10 k per year... so this thing has seen an abnormal amount of miles. It sounds like you've had your share of problems, i'm not sure if its anyone's fault except for you to say "$hit happens"... did you do a carfax report on it? maybe something will show up to tell you something you don't know... flood history, etc...

have you tried talking to people at the dealer you got it from to get them to reimburse you for your troubles? most places will bend over backwards to keep a customer happy so next time they'll buy from that dealer again...[addsig]

BUYER BEWARE!

That's one thing I have learned over the years. Dealers are a nightmare.

Dealer quotes...
"All Jeeps make that noise!"
"Jeeps are made to leak from there!"
"Sorry but that is NOT part of YOUR warranty... but we are more than happy to fix it for you!"

-Ray ;-) [addsig]

I feel your pain! I bought a 89 YJ with 86k on it and I have had one thing after another go wrong with it. I have had the jeep only four or five months and have invested over five hundred dollars in it. Good Luck[addsig]

I did a car fax report, checked out fine. I know it had quite a bit of miles on it, but I paid only about $8500 for the TJ in the first place. The dealership is a high quality dealership, but ive often heard complaints about them. At the time however I just wanted a jeep so damn bad. The dealers messed with me on the warranty and the dealership is a haul away from where I go to school so Ive never had the oppurtunity to shove it in their face. And unfortuannly $hit does happen. [addsig]

Buy it! Drive it! break it! fix it! Drive it! break it! fix it! You got to love this Jeep thing! I save all the time for a good once and for all mod of one sort or another and then I have to replace the fule tank or clutch or slave cylinder or this or that or some other thing and back to square one on the mod money. I have come to learn it is just a jeep thing. You have to repair it all the time and you never get ahead but I would rather fix my jeep than drive most anything else on the road. Your lemon is just a reason to make lemonaide. Enjoy the ride. Tug[addsig]

Still cheaper than a new one!!!!!!!!!!! I bought my old Dawg for $700.00 bucks....have spent about $1,800.00 bucks in 3 months on it...when I'm done I expect to have about 4K in it...but It will be what I want...I dont see the financial sense in spending 20K+ on something that STILL needs to be modified..plus when I bolt on the last goodie...it's all mine. Plus all that wrenchin' keeps me outta trouble :-D Last weekend I did a brake job....replaced EVERYTHING but the brake lines (they were already new) and installed a PowerTrax no slip in the rear and a PosiLock for the front!!! 'bout have the old Dawg ready to hunt... The dealer i bought her from flipped out when i drove her up to pick up the title...I think he thought i was mad about the problems it had when i bought it...LOL..before its over, i'm gonna know EVERYTHING :lol: about a old XJ....

Dawg[addsig]

I guess the history and past maintenance matters alot. I have a '95 YJ which is at over 140K miles now and I've NEVER had a normal mechanical problem or breakdown (knock on wood). I've generally stayed up on preventive maintenance and oil changes though. Not to fret, I've blown my share of money on other Jeep refurbs and in off-roading breakage which don't really count as a mechanical problem. :cool:

Then again, given all the mods and replacements (from upgrades to off-roading and other mishaps) some of my friends jokingly say that my '95 is not necessarily a '95 since it depends on specifically what part of the Jeep you're talking about. :-D[addsig]

Back