I need pictures of....

Joopin

Super Moderator
...a CJ or YJ with an aftermarket rear bumper installed by bolting it to the rear frame rails. I am fabbing my own rear bumper with a 2" reciever and tire carrier. I collected most of the parts but I am kind of stumped how I can bolt this to the frame. If anyone has pics of one that would really help me out. Even if you could explain how it installs, that would help as well. Thanks!
Joop

Use the eight holes that the bumperettes used. Get some 3/8 grade 8 bolt (I think It was 3/8, Brain Fart) Before you seal up the end of the bumper, drill holes in the bumper where they are going to bolt up the rear of the frame. Stick the bolt though with a grade 8 fender washer between the hex head and bolt. weld the bolt on the back side of the bumper and done. You can get templetes for this on www.jeepfab.com when you bolt it up, you will have to drop the gas tank slightly to get the bolts on the inside!

You were talking before about the 2" receiver. Check out those pictures of my back bumper in the "rig of the month" thread.
Mine is actually welded on there. You have to remove that plate that the bumperettes were mounted on to properly weld it to the frame. It wasn't easy on a CJ. I don't know how hard it is to remove it on a YJ.

Why My jeep won't start

is that crossmember that the bumperettes are attached to part of the frame? Is that how most aftermarket bumpers are mounted? I have seen people fab brackets to the outside frame rails... Anyway I went on that site jeepfab.com and I don't see anything about bumpers... you have a direct link? I'm trying to visualize what you explained jps...

rooster, your cj, did it have bodymounts attached to that rear thing? I was looking at mine and there is a body mount on each side.

1989 Wrangler Sahara

On a CJ, that plate is tack welded across the ends of the frame rails. I had to take the body mounts off, pry the body up a bit, drop the tank and wiggle a sawzall in there to cut them loose. It was a pain, but that bumper isn't going anywhere.

To answer your question on body mounts..yes it did. I welded new body mounts in when I cut the old plate out.

redrooster, I just checked out your bumper on that pic you mentioned... thats alot like what mine i gonna look like only with a tire carrier on top. Is that Uchannel or a square tube? I got a 3x6 steel tube that I got from work, I was planning on using that. Another question, did you end up using the bumperette holes or the sides of the frame rails?

It's rectangle tube, 3x6 like you say. It's welded to the frame. I don't think that plate across the back will handle that much abuse. I've only hit mine on the ground a few times (once was right before that picture, notice the mud on the right side). I think it would be prone to bending if it was attached to that plate. If you are going to haul anything with that receiver then you probably want to go the extra mile and attach it to the frame.
Anyone have a bumper mounted to that plate?

In the middle of fabbing a rear bumper for CJ/TJ's.I will post pics when it gets finished(maybe this weekend).

That would be cool Sully... I'll be looking forward to it.

Rooster, I just looked up installation instructions on Quadratec.com and they were bolting it to the frame too, but without removing the body mounts... i'm confused!

I have an aftermarket rear bumper/tire carrier made by Serious Metal. It mounts to the four holes that the bumperettes attached to. It also has brackets that extend out on each end of the bumper that bolts straight up into the frame...I think (I can take a pic and post it if you want)...it's been a while since I installed it. My bumper had the nuts for the bolts welded to the inside of it which makes for bolting it to the jeep a little easier. You can see a pic of my rear bumper in the readers rides section or in my cardomain site.

Yeah I was looking at that site last night jps... they use the bumperette holes to bolt in a bracket which then goes to the frame. The only thing is my shacle is in the way... I could just incorportate the shackle bolt i guess.

Back