I can't make up my mind what to get for Christmas

TerryMason

Administrator
Staff member
This year my wife and I have agreed to pick our own presents (she's tired of being at the mercy of my poor gift selection skills). She's getting a kindle, so I'm looking for a similarly priced gift ($250)

I'm driving a 2005 TJ with a 2" budget boost and some bolt to the frame rock sliders. Here are the things that I'm thinking about:

1. 2.5" longer coils. I wouldn't mind getting longer coils and doing away with my coil spacers.
  2. Some new Trail Gear rock sliders - the kind that bolt to the body of the Jeep, like most of the guys here have.
  3. A 1" body lift with new body mounts (may look kind of funny with my 31s)
  4. A remote control car

So what do you guys think? I'm having the hardest time picking what to get.

Do a poll Terry!! I vote #4!!!!! (as long as its a crawler) :p

yeah, there are some really slick remote control trucks out there. Not as many Jeep bodies though. I don't know if I could get a really good one for $250 though..

yeah, there are some really slick remote control trucks out there. Not as many Jeep bodies though. I don't know if I could get a really good one for $250 though..

There are a few Jeep bodies. The Axial scx10 is a nice kit (google it).....I have seen some sold around the net as cheap as 195. You would have to buy a motor and the electronics......that would put you right around your X-mas budget!

Well, seein as I've been into RC "toys" my whole life, I've gotta say get a RC Crawler! There fun to just play around the house and there fun to upgrade parts and just work on them for the heck of it when you're bored. :D HPI has a RTR (ready to Run) kit that has the Jeep body for a good price. Found one on ebay you can check out. Starting out in RC, the RTR kits are very user friendly since you don't have to buy servo's, electronics..etc...

HPI Crawler King Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Body RTR 102115 - eBay (item 330364991866 end time Dec-31-09 16:34:20 PST)

Are the power packs and chargers expensive? It seems to me that I'd have spent $350 before I was done.

Are the power packs and chargers expensive? It seems to me that I'd have spent $350 before I was done.

The 7.2 volt packs CAN get expensive if you get the higher amp hours. Tower Hobbies has a 2000 mah 6 cell pack for $20 I've still got my 1400 cell's I've had for several years and they still work. The smaller ones just don't hold charge near as long as the others, but are fine to start out with.

TowerHobbies.com | Tower Hobbies 6-Cell 7.2V 2000mAh NiMH Stick Std Plug

Same goes for the chargers. They can get expensive for the Peak chargers, but I've got 2 of the 15 minute Tower chargers that came with a couple of the model kits I've bought over the years. Once again, I've had them for a LONG time and they still work perfect. Good price too IMO

$32.99

TowerHobbies.com | Tower Hobbies 420 AC/DC 6-7 Cell Charger

You may want to look on ebay also. You can usually find packs on there, well, chargers too, for Cheap.

I say number 4 too. That's what I want too and build a little track out here. (I got 80 acres):)

Doggone it now, I got this Willys out here needing a stack o bucks worth of pieces and partses and now I want a radio control Jeep too!!:roll:

:lol: Who says ya have to still be a kid to enjoy R/C toys. They are very fun, especially if you have a friend or 2 to romp around with. Terry, that's a good price on the HPI. One thing that's cool about the scale models they have out is that you can add as much detail and personal touches as you want. 3Racing has a scale winch that looks just like the Warn XD9000 and actually works. You can get a 3 channel radio system or add a toggle and use it. LOL! I told samantha about the winch and she just gave me that "WTF" look and said "Umm, it's not like it's your real Jeep. If you get stuck, you can just pick it up and move it"! I laughed at her and told her, That's not the point. :D

I ended up going with some trail gear rock sliders. My wife thought that I'd get more use out of them, and I'm betting she's right. Besides, I'll probably just pick the RC Jeep up later :shades:

The sliders look nice, and I'm happy so far. It's too nasty out to install them, but I'll to a writeup once I do.

Attachments

• DSCF1151_trail_gear_rock_sliders.jpg
    DSCF1151_trail_gear_rock_sliders.jpg
    394.7 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF1157_trail_gear_rock_sliders.jpg
    DSCF1157_trail_gear_rock_sliders.jpg
    449.7 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCF1159_trail_gear_rock_sliders.jpg
    DSCF1159_trail_gear_rock_sliders.jpg
    444.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Trail_Gear_Jeep_TJ_Rock_Sliders.jpg
    Trail_Gear_Jeep_TJ_Rock_Sliders.jpg