How should I get a few more inches?

Jeepster05

1988 Lift Kits

I'm going to be moving on to slightly bigger tires in a month or so and Need a few more inches under my jeep. Right now I have 3.5 susp. and 33x12.50s. I'm going to be adding 34x12.50s so I don't need much more clearance but I think I'll need about 2 inches. Should I do a body lift? Should I do a shackle lift? Or should I do one inch a both?? Will I be able to rig my driveshaft to work with this extra lift?

If you have a YJ, which by looking at the pic it seems u do, I would put a one inch body lift on her and tj flares. Shackles are ok as long as they are mild, but can cause steering problems when they get too long and decrease your approach clearance in the front. A one inch body lift with tj flares and u will be able to flex those 34s into the wheelwells with no problem. Your stock driveshaft will work just fine, if u do the body lift, and have a tcase drop, you will have to trim back some of the metal on the floorpan towards the rear shifter area, no problem though, its simple.

i'll assume you already have a dropped transfercase... you MIGHT get away with the stock driveline if you lift an inch by shackles... but you can lift 2 inches with the body if you wish... personally.. i would never go higher than that... but i would say go with the one inch body and tj flares

hey bro i would go with like a 2 in body lift if you dont feel like switchin to the tj flares...or just go all out and cut your flares hardcore style! I plan on getting 2 in body lift and 2 inch coil spacers on top of my 4 in suspension lift now so ill be at about 8 inchs and thats when ill cut my fenders to get some superflex!!! 8)

4" of suspension lift is the threshold at which a transfer case drop is no longer enough to eliminate driveline vibration on a YJ. You could probably get away with 1/2" lift shackles and not have problems with vibration or the the steering. I'm not a big fan of body lifts, but the 1" body mount replacements are pretty subtle. These alone will probably be enough for the 34's, add in the TJ flares and you've got nothin' but room under there!

-TC

Once my 31's wear out,I plan on putting a 1 inch BL on my jeep.That way I will be able to fit some 33's. :D

jeep rubicon game from jeep.com

i also agree with flare trimming... i trimmed my flares at the kink line and nobody has ever noticed they were modified... other than the extra clearance

87 YJ V-8 conversion question

I am already planning to cut my fenders.

Once my 31's wear out,I plan on putting a 1 inch BL on my jeep.That way I will be able to fit some 33's.

your MTRs are like a month old.... already thinking bout new tires :lol:

can you not fit 33s already w/ that rancho lift?

78 CJ-7 Misc. Parts

I can dream cant I?I love my mtr's.I just wish they were a lil' bit bigger.

I get a million emails a day from folks telling me that it is possible to gain inches and reduce debt. I will forward all of these to you just give me your email address. hehehehe Tug :wink:

haha.. i get those emails all the time too... along with the "find your highschool sweetheart for free"

Back