How Often?

88Wrangles

RE: Re: Detroit or ARB in rear DANA 44?

I was just wondering. How often does everyone change their transmission, t-case, and diff. fluid on their wheeling vehicle?

On mine, I change it about everyother time I change the oil. And, I change the oil about every 1000 miles at the very most. However, the only times I really drive it on the street is to get to the trails, sand, or mud :wink:

But I know that's not normal, so that is why I'm here asking :D

RE: Re: FYI. Law in Florida says you can take th

I change the oil about every 1000 miles at the very most.
Glad you brought this up. I normally change the oil every 3k miles. BUT..I have been wheeling more since the lift (2100 miles ago). SHould I change oil more often? The diff's I change twice a year UNLESS I get into deep water then I will change, but always inspect at every oil change. Before the wheeling that we did was normaly just easy down old loggging roads at the hunt club...not much "wet" action...it has seen much more wet stuff since the lift :lol:

RE: Re: Detroit or ARB in rear DANA 44?

_(OIIIIO)_Jeeper said:
I change the oil about every 1000 miles at the very most.
Glad you brought this up. I normally change the oil every 3k miles. BUT..I have been wheeling more since the lift (2100 miles ago). SHould I change oil more often? The diff's I change twice a year UNLESS I get into deep water then I will change, but always inspect at every oil change. Before the wheeling that we did was normaly just easy down old loggging roads at the hunt club...not much "wet" action...it has seen much more wet stuff since the lift :lol:

Well, I would definatly check the oil more often if you're wheeling it harder. And, if you have an auto transmission I would check it's fluid mroe often too...simply because the fluid doesn't like getting real hot, and it will get hot more often when you're crawling up a trail.

Same goes for the differentials. You'll want to check them a little more often.

As for exact mileage when to change everything...I don't know.

I change mine so often simply because it would be a LONG time before I get to 3000 miles. And I go through some pretty deep mud (chevy on 44's) and water.

What are these switches?

About 6 months is as long as you want the same oil in the crankcase if you are not driving the mileage to warrant a change. At that point, deposits are not your enemy, it becomes oxidation.

oil when its thin and dark.... other fluids once a year or when it is submerged

Oil every 3,000, or 1.5 months, usually occuring at the same time. Diffs and T-case, I am trying to do about every 10,000 miles, but I have been lax in this, just did them yesterday, actually... Transmission, it was my intent to get flushed once a year, but I have been strapped for cash... Is there any way to drain an auto transmission?

RE: Forum Rules and Guidelines -- Why?

With normal wear and tear (what ever that is) I was told the fluids in the diff and t-case needed to be changed every 30,000 miles. Thats the schedule I have been sticking to.

Re: Forum Rules and Guidelines -- Why?

Saurian said:
Is there any way to drain an auto transmission?

Drop the pan. Take out a couple bolts towards the back first, to let it drain out slowly. Keep taking them out till you get out as much fluid as possible. Then just take the pan out and clean it out good (of all the sludge and stuff)

RE: Will This Fit?

oil when its thin and dark....

The only thing that would cause oil to get thinner that I can think of over time would be fuel getting into the crankcase. Other than that engine oil will get more viscous(thicker) over time as it soaks up combustion by-products and engine dirt.

If you've got a TJ with a manual it takes auto transmission fluid. Apparently auto transmission fluid gets hot enough to boil out of the vents if you're in a steep enough incline/decline. I thought I broke something underneath until I found out about the boiling.

I would follow the owner's manual but so far I have always had to before hand because of getting the Jeep wet.

currupt4130 said:
i dont think ive ever changed my difs after submerging them...

:shock: You should. If you do, and you see the color of the oil after a good run through water you'll see why.

This is equally if not more important with an auto transmission (not to say it shouldn't be done with a manual as well).

jumppr said:
If you've got a TJ with a manual it takes auto transmission fluid. Apparently auto transmission fluid gets hot enough to boil out of the vents if you're in a steep enough incline/decline. I thought I broke something underneath until I found out about the boiling.

That is good to know! :wink:

Yeah I did my first real tough trail this past summer and when we got to camp we noticed the transmission like fluid leaking, but were dumbfounded since I have a manual. Got the owners manual out and voila! I wouldn't have believed it. Of course I couldn't have filled it up if I needed to since all my trail buddies drove older manuals with actual gear oil in their transmissions and I of course didn't bring ATF.

Live and Learn!

.....and I think driving a Jeep means you learn alot more then most average Joes.

RE: Re: RE: It

90Xjay said:
The only thing that would cause oil to get thinner that I can think of over time would be fuel getting into the crankcase. Other than that engine oil will get more viscous(thicker) over time as it soaks up combustion by-products and engine dirt.

I've ALWAYS, in EVERY vehicle, seen thinner oil at changes than when it went in. Oil breaks down and LOSES viscosity with heat and wear

RE: CB ????

Snitty, had the engine's always been running before you changed the oil? Cause usually it is best to run it for a little bit to warm it up and help it to all drain out easier.

I'm just wondering if that is the reason it is thinner...because it is warmer (even if just slightly) than the fresh, cold oil you put in.

I've always wondered if it becomes thinner or thicker over time in the engine, but have never thought ahead of time to drain it while it is comletely cooled off.

Just a thought, but I could be wrong.

Oil breaks down and LOSES viscosity with heat and wear

Oil does lose viscosity as it heats up
That is why the multi-vis oils use VI(viscosity-improvers) to keep the oil at a constant as it the engine heats up to operating temp.

IF you pour engine oil at room temp out of the bottle into your engine and drive it for 5000 miles then drain it, let it set at room temp, it will be more viscous(thicker) than when you installed it.

Yes, as you drain the warm oil out, it is thinner, but I am talking apples to apples...

Back