how much horse power??

i have nitrous on mine and push over 425 bhp.

not.

couldn't resist that. just saw 'fast and furious' again.

imagine climbing that big rock and need that little bit of hp, flip the switch and :-O [addsig]

They make about 115 horsepower and about 190-200 pound feet ouf torque. They are great motors they just lack a little in the hp numbers. ;-) [addsig]

the newer 4.0 High Output motors crank out 190 horsepower... the non-high-output (pre-'92) put out like 175...[addsig]

pop quiz:

what differences made to the engine qualify it for the HO marker?[addsig]

How much hp would a 95 Yj 2.5 get?At least over 100 hp right? Later :wink: Sully[addsig]

ok... the 2.5 makes 120 HP, 140 lb-ft torque

the 4.2 makes 112 HP, 210 lb-ft torque

the 4.0 HO makes 190 HP, 222 lb-ft torque

the 4.0 nonHO makes 177 HP... ??? torque

can you swap a 4.0 HO head onto a 4.0 nonHO engine?[addsig]

I'm a little dissappointed in those numbers. :-( ya'd never know that a civic had more horses than my 4.2l. [addsig]

the power felt at the rear wheels is certainly directly proportional to the size of the engine. it is also influenced by gearing, gross vehicle weight, engine efficiency, etc. i've seen smaller engines pushing a lighter car, do much better than a larger engine trying to push a much heavier car.

find the power coefficient = hp/vehicle weight. then compare that to the civic
[addsig]

Think about the big trucks out there on the hwy. Many of the company trucks on the road are running 325 hp and pulling 64,000 lbs of freight at 65 mph all day long. But lordy what toruqe thay have turnin them 8 big ol pull tires. Low rpm high torque is what it is all about in a jeep, tractor, or anything that gets the work done. High speed horses and rpms can be fun to but for me the it is the tug n pull of a Jeep over the spinnin tire of a hot rod any day. Tug[addsig]

horsepower is a measure of how much work can be done in a matter of so much time... torque is the amount of force applied in a twisting manner at a given point... if you can get a lawnmower engine to successfully spin at an insane speed... perhaps 600,000 rpm , which could result in around 350-400 hp... it could have more horsepower than most of our jeeps, because it is capable of doing more work in a given amount of time... But... the torque would be much lower... the instantaneous force produced by that motor would not compare to the instantaneous force produced by our motors...

so like bluebelle mentioned... the force felt at the wheels would be much different... the gearing of a high torque, low rpm motor could produce a much more powerful product effect than a high horsepower high rpm motor...

a high HP honda motor would dog in our application... it is set to make power at high speeds... it is designed to do very much work at a low force... whereas our motors are designed to do less work at a much higher force.[addsig]

You've also got to take gearing into account. The wrong gear choice can make a vehicle seem like it has alot less horses then it does.

Unless of course the numbers mentioned are for drive wheel horsepower. If this is the case, ignore me :-D :-D

Nathan
[addsig]

Back