how everyone determines

XjShake

mooooh-(what do you guys look for when determing if your jeep is ready or not when planing to take her to go on a wheeling trip? i think she is ready but not for sure... i have a had a rough begining with my xj but she is starting to drive better and better.. you guys think it is to soon or is she ready? i have a feeling she is ready but there is still a spot in the back of my mind thinking she is not. just kinda curious.. mooooh-(

I go whenever lol I go prepared. I take spare u joints. Bulbs. Fluids. Etc etc. I have a parts dep in my jeep lol. I have tools spare wheel bearing. On board air. So I can fix what I need short of an engine. If she's runnin and drivin good take her out somewhere kinda close. Make sure you have a buddy. Or a cell phone. And take it easy on it to see if all is workin good.

I agree...you'll never know until you try. I take everything I could even remotely possibly need. I even go as far as taking food provisions for a few days :p .....hey, you never know

Just go for it. Take it easy. Get out and scout. And have a good time.

thanx guys... i just didnt want to cut her loose before she is ready... i have tons of work in her and dont want to tear her up before she is ready...

My situation is a little different,

My trail jeep is not registered so street driving is not an issue. In the begining of the season, I perform my routine maitenance, oil change, grease this and that, fluid checks, check wear items. I usually spend a good day just going through everything. after that, I simply repair what I determine from operation needs to be addressed. worse case sinerio, if the YJ isn't wheelable, I bring the 2A, which is registered and is a street mainly jeep, so most maitenance is taken care of through regular driving and tuning.

Honeslty, I stop carrying a lot of extra stuff, I do not carry diff fluid anymore or AFT or engine fluid. I do carry brake fluid and Power steering fluid though; those are what I ID as fluids I can not save if trail fix is needed. I carry spare yoke with joint and straps, belt, and a couple small coils of wire. I leave at the trailer spare shafts, spare tire, and a lot of larger hard parts tat I keep in the tool box.

Back