How do I mold fiberglass?

starrinth

I am trying to create some speaker boxes for my jeep and I can build a box out of wood, done it hundreds of times, but I want to shape fiberglass and do this thig right now. Where can I go to learn how to shape fiberglass, like a web site or something?

Thanks[addsig]

have used fiberglass many times to do repairs, but have always had something to bond it around. i have always used tigerhair and it wont support itself without the hardening compound applied to it. i am not a bodyman but have used it often .

try to make some kind of lightweight frame , or even better something that can be removed aftyer the glass dries. i have found that fiberglass is actually very easy to use and work with. i think the trick is mixing the hardner and the compound so it does not dry to fast but fast enough. have bought my materials at wal-mart and it is very inexpensive. am not an expert but this is what i have found. odax :cool: [addsig]

Hobby shops have a lot of literature and starter kits. You can buy foam blocks especialy made to be cut ( and sanded) into a mold for fiberglass, wax the mold, spray a coat of, gel coat (shiny outside coat), inside the two halves, back the gel coat with layers of cloth and polyester resin. First few attempts, will probably be disappointing, but like most everything else, you´ll get better with practice. Trick is usally, figuring out how to get the peices of mold to fit together, for complicated pieces, access to the back or inside of whatever your making, getting the air bubbles out and finishing before the resin cooks off and oh, ya cleaning the gunk off your clothes and hands. Use a mask when sanding fiber glass, bad for the lungs. Some people have bad reactions to polyesters and aceton solvents, asthma and stuff.[addsig]

My advice, you have to make some sort of structure to support the fiberglass. After you do this, instead of using the fiberglass matting to lay over the carcass, use either panty hose, or a strechable fleece. Just apply a little resin at a time let is fully harden, and repeat. Do this and you won't have to sand AS MUCH, and get some pretty nasty compound curves![addsig]

haha... memories of working with bondo and fiberglass on my CRX and its rusty wheelwells... and the intoxication... haha... don't breathe too much it'll f' you up![addsig]

Back