High Lift

untamed

Can anyone think of a good reason not to mount a high lift jack in front of the windshield?. Laying flat of course.

I would say it would look cool but then your leaving it exposed to the elements and can rust. Also people can steal it off your hood. I have mine mounted in the back of my roll cage and is wrapped with a chain and paddlock to the bars

Ya I can see that. We live in a small town and I don't think about theft very much. But I guess it only takes one person to ruin your day. Rust I'm not to worried about its high desert here. Doesn't rain here much. Does anyone know of a locking mount?

Do you wheel the jeep? Buddy had his on his hood on his TJ and was in a rut leaning a bit and it caught a tree and ended up ripping the mounts off after bending his hood. Backing up wasn't an option. Mine is exposed and sticks at first but pour some water or something on it and it's fine, had to do this when I kept it in the back too. Think it's a high lift thing.

Do you wheel the jeep? Buddy had his on his hood on his TJ and was in a rut leaning a bit and it caught a tree and ended up ripping the mounts off after bending his hood. Backing up wasn't an option. Mine is exposed and sticks at first but pour some water or something on it and it's fine, had to do this when I kept it in the back too. Think it's a high lift thing.
I do off road it. Be we don't have many tree's. But that is something to think about auto on the jeep trails. My problem is my spare tire is on the tailgate. And I'm not quite sure what the best way is to mount it. I have looked at a lot of 4 wheeling sites and I haven't seen very many options other than a swing arm mount.

You can do it this way. It's mounted on the roll bar and isn't in the way of any obstacles. Easy to get to when needed and is protected from the elements

ForumRunner_20120508_204627.png

You can also make mounts out of material from the hardware store. Stuff for fences I believe its a lot cheaper than using the brackets you would buy from a shop

The hi lift will rust then stain the hood where the rain and rust drips off it. Ive herd the brand new ones are supposed to prevent rust. Well see

mine is only a year old and has rust forming where it slides up and down the shaft. i have used it a fair amount though so maybe its got a bit of wear on it versus one riding on a vehicle and plus i live 5 minutes walk from the ocean

mine is only a year old and has rust forming where it slides up and down the shaft. i have used it a fair amount though so maybe its got a bit of wear on it versus one riding on a vehicle and plus i live 5 minutes walk from the ocean

The high lift I have was my dads and its about as old as I am. Its been well used and I always look at rust and dings as battle scars. It still works great.

couple reasons

1. rust, and when Hi-Lifts rust, they become inopperable, keep it inside
2. runs the risk of needlessly denting the hood when trying to remove/put on the hood
3. Rust
4.(and I have seen this first person) when wheeling, the person got into a situation where a tree hit the hood and had his hi-lift mounted there. bent the hi-lift, not only ruined the hood, but also mangled the cowl and teh hi-lift hit the brake booster bending the mount and tearing the firewall
5. can't put down your windshield
6. rust
7. could impede your view when wheeling
8. rust
9. flat out looks stupid

couple reasons

2. runs the risk of needlessly denting the hood when trying to remove/put on the hood
3. Rust
4.(and I have seen this first person) when wheeling, the person got into a situation where a tree hit the hood and had his hi-lift mounted there. bent the hi-lift, not only ruined the hood, but also mangled the cowl and teh hi-lift hit the brake booster bending the mount and tearing the firewall
6. rust
8. rust
9. flat out looks stupid
Well I guess that about says it all. No lift on the hood. Thanx for all the info.

I still have my stock bumper and just bolted it to the holes already there. I removed the T-55 bolts, got some grade 8, installed tow hooks at the same time and added one longer bolt through two of the holes. Cost me $8 and fits perfectly. I only bolt it on when I go wheeling. I live next to the pacific so RUST kills everything.

couple reasons

3. Rust
6. rust
8. rust
9. flat out looks stupid

You forgot to mention rust.

Where ever you put it, make sure it is tied down really good. You would not want it to come loose in an accident, either on road or off road.

My preference is to mount on back, as low as possible to help avoind raising the vehicle CG.

I still have my stock bumper and just bolted it to the holes already there.

I did the same install on my '93 YJ. I bought the "sock" to protect it a bit and am using a gun lock to deter thieves. So far so good.

Back