here we go...

OhioMike

RE: hello

few questions...87 wrangler 258...

first the history...

i bought it a few months ago...ran fine had a little miss...changed a few things it would not get better...so i just drove it...figured if it was somethin serious it would break eventually...well...it did...i also replaced the carb because it was leaking through the butterfly bushings...

eventually it got so bad i could not drive it...not the greatest troubleshooting method but it worked...started backfiring through the carb...so i figured i might have a burnt valve...checked the compression and it was good...now i'm confused...check the timing...it;s off a little...reset it...it runs better but still not great...

end up pulling the valve cover off to check the rocker arms...oh great...3 collapsed lifters...this engine was supposed to have 50,000 miles on it...so i pull the head off and find one is so bad it actually has a hole in the bottom of it...hmm...might as well change the cam to if the lifters are that bad...so i bought new lifters and valve springs to go with the new cam...

camcard-4.jpg

i get a new timing set as well...figure it;s comin off replace it...good thing to it was so slack i'm suprised it was running at all...being the cheap guy i am i try to go as far as i can without a complete rebuild...but when i dropped the oil pan to look for metal...i found the rest of my can and llifters...so to shorten the story...the block and head are at the machine shop and i should be getting them back next week...hopefully seeings how this is my everday driver...

now a few tech questions with this thing...what vacuum lines can i do away with...they suck big hairy goat toes...i have not done the i have not done the mod for the bicycle cable to lock the front yet...hmm there's a thought maybe i can while it is easier to get to...

and the rocker arms...what is the stock ratio...1.5?would i have to modify the head to accept 1.6?

what are the specs on the stock cam...that one was an impulse buy... :oops: ...and i'm not really wanting to modify the rest of the engine just for a cam...

should it need bored i will torque plate it...and resize the rods...obviously...maybe even balance it...not sure about balanceing...do you guys think it woul be worth balancing...it;s not a race car or anything...

thanks fellas

The factory rockers are 1.6

You don't really need to change anything major for that cam. The problem is, alot of things need to be changed just to get the factory setup to run good. I'd suggest a header and a hotter ignition anyway, and with the cam they really need to be done. The factory carb sucks, so that's something else to consider. Junk all the emissions crap if you don't need it for inspection.

I'm a fan of having the rotating assembly balanced on any engine, but you don't really need to in this case.

The only vacuum line you need is for the timing advance on the distributer; that's how mine is right now. Also, what would you think about a 4.0L head swap?

RE: hello

i hear that is a good thing actually...but honestly i have not looked into it...i imagine it;s pretty straight forward...the head that is...

so you are saying i can plug off all the other vacuum lines minus the power brakes and timing advance...cool...consider that crap gone...

yes a header is a plan for the future...but it is something i can do with the engine in the nacelle...in other words...yes it will be done...just later...

and no emissions where i live...YAY!!!

thanks guys...you have been most helpful

Back