Help!!!!

swesley

I've got a 73 CJ5 with a Chevy 350 and the 350 turbo transmission. When the engine warms up there is a 'clacking sound from the engine. Seems to be near the top of the oil pan and the transmission. I can't figure this out.

The sounds doesn't stop when you accelerate the engine.

Oil pressure is at 59 psi when cold and drops to about 45-48 psi when warmed up.

Runs well with no hesitation.

Any Help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I had a 4.0 Cherokee that made a noise from that area, it ended up being loose torque converter bolts.

Oh the old 350 Chevys my second favorite motor. Lots can cause a clacking. A rod bearing going south. As stated flex plate bolts. Torque converter bolts. A cracked flex plate. A separated harmonic damper cutting into the timing cover. Worn distributor drive. Slapping timing chain.

Start pulling plug wires one at a time while it's running. Sometimes if you've got a rod or wrist pin making noise on one cylinder the noise will change when you pull the wire going to the bad cylinder.

Sounds like possibly a rod. Like mentioned try to narrow down the cylinder. Then you can diag from there. Try not to shock yourself it sucks lol.

I had installed a turbo-350 behind a 4.3 a few years back. When I first fired it up I had a knocking sounds at the rear of the engine. I couldn't tell if it was the trans or the engine, so I pulled the trans out and fired up the engine and the knocking wasn't there. Come to find out it was the front pump gear in the trans. For some reason the gear was broke in half. Replace it and all was good. This my not be your case, so if all else fails this is something to look into.

Back