Help!!

JennKaye

I have a 1998 Jeep TJ. Two problems: When I hit 60mph, it shakes. When I get over 60 it stops. I have had all the work on the suspension done (including a new rear end..ouch!) and have 4 new tires but the problem continues. Any ideas on that one? Also, no matter how long I let it warm up, it spudders and studders going down the road. If I get going for about 5 or 6 miles it stops but the engine light comes on. Any ideas on this one? Sad to say but all the repairs I have done may cause me to sell my baby.:( Please tell me these are an easy fix!

Do you have a lift installed? Also, have you had it aligned?

The shaking could be a number of things such as worn out bushings, or driveline vibes from a lift.

About the sputtering, I'd take it to the local parts store and ask them to "pull your check engine codes" for you. They should do it for free. Then post back here what they tell you.

Sent from my DROID2 using the Jeepz.com app

Do you have a lift installed? Also, have you had it aligned?

The shaking could be a number of things such as worn out bushings, or driveline vibes from a lift.

About the sputtering, I'd take it to the local parts store and ask them to "pull your check engine codes" for you. They should do it for free. Then post back here what they tell you.

Sent from my DROID2 using the Jeepz.com app

I don't have a lift kit.

I would have a different tire shop rebalance your tires. My 08 had a set that would wobble at 55-60 then smooth out. took it to a different shop and its all better now. I agree with the other answer. Go to auto zone get the code read and we can go from there

I would have a different tire shop rebalance your tires........

:agree:I have an '03 with 160K miles on it. Have had several "wobbling" issues over the years and they have all been tire related. As for your other issue, pull the codes (search it on here - you can probably do it yourself) and then we can be of more help. How many miles on your TJ? O2 sensors can cause similar symptoms, but without the codes, it's pure guesswork.

Check your steering box play also...it may be loose enough to be amplified by the bigger/ wider tires [...happened to me]. Lift one wheel off the ground (engine off, use a jack-stand!!) and have a buddy shake the wheel while you lay down and look at EVERY piece of linkage.

Back