Help please 5th gear question!

jpp1221

I just bought a 2004 Wrangler, and it has a 3 1/2 inch lift and is on 33 by 10.5 MT bfg tires. I was testing how it did on the highway and it does just fine till i put it into 5th gear, i can cruise just fine at 65 in 4th but once i put it into fiifth it feels like my engine starts dragging as if i put it into fifth to early? Their is no scratching either nor is it hard to put into fifth it just starts slowing down to about 60 mph and does not want to go faster unless i downshift back to fourth. Do i need to re-gear my jeep or is the common.

any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I have the 4.0HO with 33x12.50 tires and 4.11 gearing and it's perfect gearing for around town/interstate and still being able to wheel. I can cruise at 70mph at like 2300rpms and roll on up to 80+ if I needed to. No lack of power and it also brought back some of my gas mileage.

You need to regear, you likely have the suckish 3.07 axle gears. You can swap ring and pinions in both axles, or find a used pair of axles from a 2.5L 5spd TJ and swap those, they have 4.10 from the factory.

Gearing is everything... I have the 2.5L with 4.88 gears, and I can drive on 5th against the wind with no problems with 31" tires (when I had 4.10 gears, I was lucky to be ably to maintain speed on flat ground!).

Back