HELP!!! Need opinions from all Jeepz folks...

TwistedCU

wrangler rims on a xj?

Here's the deal. I have a dilemma.

A friend/neighbor just offered to buy my YJ (in my signature below) for $1500. I paid $500 for it around 10 months ago and still have yet to do the work to get it on the road. Just haven't had the time or money.

It needs a rear main seal, a windsheild, an ignition coil, and I haven't yet installed the motorcraft 2150 I bought for it.

Spare time is almost non existant right now, as I am doing a lot of work to the house up in PA and we hope to move in May if I get the bulk of it done next week (some vacation, eh?).

I'm torn. This YJ wasn't my ideal Jeep (258 and BA10 transmission), but at $500 I couldn't pass it up. It is completely rust free throughout (frame, tub), yeah - NO RUST and that is a rarity.

If I keep it, I'll eventually have to swap the drivetrain but she is solid. It appears to have never seen any offroad use at all. Good Jeep, crappy motor/trans.

If I sell it, I've made $1000 and done nothing but paint it (cost next to nothing to paint). Then after I move I'll be in a better position to look for and buy the '91 that I've always wanted - (4.0L, sloped back rollbars). I'll also be better off financially and would be able to spend more for it and on it.

My gut tells me to make the quick $1000, and look for "my" Jeep after the move. Experience tells me that selling a Jeep always ends up in regret.

What should I do??? He said the offer was good 'till Sunday. He wants to buy a Jeep. By the way, I have told him everything wrong with it, and when I told him I wanted to keep it he offered me the $1500. He's a gearhead and will get her right. It would be his first Jeep.

I'd take the money. If you can't even drive it right now and time to work on it is almost non-existent then what are you losing? Wait till you get your other stuff in order and then get what you want. I'm going thru a similar situation. Wife wants to drop hours (and money) at work to go to school (cost more money) and get a new Liberty. Something has got to give. My motto lately is wait and do it right! As I've always been one prone to impulse decisions that leave me regretful in the end. There will be more Jeeps.

You've got a Jeep (the XJ). Take the money and run. Never know what the future will bring.........your '91's just waitin' on ya.

If its not the Jeep you've always wanted, sell that pig. Let someone with some time and a true wanting to rebuild have it. Take the money you made and get that 91 you dream about.

Sell it TC. From what you said it wasn't your "IDEAL" Jeep anyway for starters and you know it need some ...I would say Major repairs. Take the money....order a MEATLOAF lunch....be happy! :p

Suburban Shocks

Nice! I say sell it and get a newer one with a 4.0 and a better transmission. It's cool to sell it since you dont have the time and this could be alot easier to sell it a buy one with better components. Plus, your making money on the exchange.

Sell it dude. And save it for a Baby Blue Surrey....I mean, YJ. It's all about the HO brotha.

I would sell it and go for your dream car. HEck, your making money on the deal right? It means this Jeep wasn't meant to be, it was just an access to your dream machine.

sell it. like everyone said, its not really what you want. you havent put blood sweat and tears into it yet, you're not losing anything with it, and you're making money like you said. other benefit, one less vehicle to move. other than the no rust part, i'm failing to see a drawback here.

sell it and buy another YJ in better or equal condition....and put that extra money into it

I'd sell it, as long as you think you can find a replacement for that $ (or are willing to pay more.) I am not sure what the Jeep market in your area is like, but I haven't seen too many 15 yr old Jeeps with no rust, much less go for $500 or even $1500. I think I'd sell it if I were you though. Like they all said, you haven't logged the hours to feel the attachment yet. If its just a driveway filler, what are you really losing?

RE: If you promise not to tell....

Wow, 12 votes so far for selling and none to keep. Looks like we all agree TC.

You can find a good 91 with a solid motor for less than what you paid for the 88 plus the price of a new motor.

And for the roll bars you want, aim for 92...

RE: If you promise not to tell....

jps4jeep said:
You can find a good 91 with a solid motor for less than what you paid for the 88 plus the price of a new motor.

And for the roll bars you want, aim for 92...

I had a 92, they have the extended roll bars. I like the older sloped back type on the pre-92's. The reason I want a 91 is because they were the last year for those bars but the first with the 4.0L ;)

I think I'm gonna sell it. I'm scared. The last time I sold a Jeep I mourned for a year. This time it should be different though... no fond memories of mods and wheeling with the son.

Re: RE: HELP!!! Need opinions from all Jeepz folks...

It's been my experience that the new won't come into your life until you let go of the old. Once you sell the Jeep that is causing you stress, there will be room for the Jeep of your dreams. And how great to be the one who provides someones first Jeep.

Re: Very cold starting

So he's your neighbor eh?

So if you miss it, you can just look next door and see it sitting in HIS driveway....and rememer all the old memories of it sitting in YOUR driveway!!!!

Re: RE: If you promise not to tell....

88Wrangles said:
So he's your neighbor eh?

So if you miss it, you can just look next door and see it sitting in HIS driveway....and rememer all the old memories of it sitting in YOUR driveway!!!!

That post made my decision final. I'll call him tomorrow morning.

White... I have to admit it crossed my mind more than once.

Back