Heating Up and Dying

RedWrang

Has anyone experienced this ever? This is on my 87 4.2 carburated. Yesterday I drove it 60 miles to the dirt race track. It ran fine and the temp at 180 on the freeway and around 210 at a light or stop sign. Ok no problem. I went to the store and got in a little traffic and it was getting around 210 heavy. I got back in it at the store and drove it 1 block and it died. I tried to crank it and it would hit and run a second or two but when I hit the gas it died. Tried to recrank it and it would die after a half second of running. If I pumped the gas it made no diff. I let it cool down a bit and it ran for 10 seconds and died. After letting it cool down to around 190 - 200 it cranked and i hauled ass. And the temp came back to 180 - 185. Has this happened to anyone and what can I do to fix it. Is it vapor locking? My only solution so far is to add a pusher fan but why is it overheating like that at red lights. Now I have a new fan clutch, the radiator is clean and plenty antifreeze in it. Pump is not leaking and its not using any water. I also wanted to say I had my 4-wheeler and my utility trailer hooked to it and no A/c running. :-?

edited by: RedWrang, Apr 19, 2003 - 01:34 PM[addsig]

hmmf thats really weird. when my XJ had its overheating problem, it shut itself off when it reached the 'red zone' on the temp guage (for obvious engine damage prevention reasons) but if yours kicks itself off at 210... thats really odd...

being as i am no carbeurator expert, i'll just take a stab in the dark and say that its related to your carb...[addsig]

Hello Red Wrangler, Have you taken out the thermostat and replaced it. I totally removed the one in my 88 and have not had a problem since.However that was this past winter. Goodluck[addsig]

I had the same symptoms in a a XJ, the metal part of the fuel line was touching the exhaust manifold. It would boil the gas and cause a vapor block. A carb with a metal base plate or a thin gasket will work better in winter, a small spacer might help keep the carb cool in summer.
Two things often overlooked in trouble shooting the cooling system. One is the radiator is layered, and while looking clean from the outside, between the layers, it often becomes restricted with mud, dust, pollen or such. A good wash from rear to front, being careful of the pressure so as not to flatten the fins, often helps. Looking through the fins can be done with a mag light, held behind and looking through the front (the the air conditioner condensor does get in the way).
The second thing is a very slight head gasket leak from a cylinder into the coolant system. Often foams the coolant some and bubbles can be seen in the coolant. At speed the few drops of coolant in the cylinders is evaporated guickly, at idle or when stopped the few drops of coolant into the cylinders can short out the plugs. Some other signs are rust colored plug electrodes, and moisture at the end of the exhaust pipe )often tinted the same color as your coolant). A little moisture at the exhaust outlet is normal, but excess is suspect. A slight, unexplained coolant loss, fairly consistant but usually minor, is another indicator.
It doesn´t take alot of 800+deg. exhaust gas leaking into the coolant system to throw things out of balance.
Just a couple of things to look at other than the obvious.[addsig]

I don't think it has to do with overheating. 210 is not that bad. I had a similar problem where it would stall after a little highway driving and when I would let it sit it would start back up and run fine. I finally talked to a mechanic and he said it was probably the torque converter not unlocking. He told me to crawl under the jep there should be wires going into the transmission with a blue clip. Unplug it and see if the stalling still happens if not it is the torque converter. Once I unplugged it it was fine. Not sure if this helps or not. [addsig]

Thats weird that the torque converter would cause it to not run but o well. Thanks for all the replies I will look into some of the responses. Yesterday I drove it into town and around in some traffic and all was well. So ill keep on trying. [addsig]

Back