headliner?

irishsetter48

Does anyone have an answer to a sagging headliner? I have a 1988 Cherokee limited, and I have tried a 3M spray adhesive, then a product made exclusively for headliners, and the liner still sags. Is there an inexpensive replacement liner out there? Or a product that real works for jeeps? I think the adhesives are good, its the material under the head liner that seems to absorb the spray and then when dry it peels off. Thanks in advance for your help.

When you sprayed the 3m on the headliner, was it still in the jeep, or was it removed? For the 3m to work correctly, the tempurature needs to be above 50 degrees (I think, check the can) and the headliner needs to be out of the jeep. spray a decent amount but not too much, don't want to saturate the fabric. let sit over night, should be good as new come morning. If you try to do this with the headliner in the vehicle, gravity will just pull the fabric down, not allowing the 3m to set up.

There is only one real repair for a head liner. NEW ONE. That is the bad news, however you can do it yourself and it is ez! here is a link if that does not help just type in headliner replacement under your favorit search engin. tug

http://autoheadlinings.com/ :wink:

I had an '83 crown vic a few years ago when I was in high school. Family heirloom, used to be my great grandma's. Anyway, the headliner was sagging to the point that it was sitting on my head when I was driving and I fixed it very effectively on a high schooler's budget. I bought a box of flat thumb tacks and just stuck them in all over. They were actually a pretty close color match to the headliner so it didn't look too bad, and it worked great. Really impressed the chicks too. 8)

JPS4jeep,
How does that work? You take the headliner completely out and spray it flat and then the next day put it back in? I did try with the headliner in the jeep, and it lasted for a while. And is 3M the best product?

Jay79CJ7,
I like the thumbtack attack, and it may be my last resort if I can't get the headliner to look any better. Thanks for your idea.

Tug-n-pull,
I know the correct answer is a new one, and I appreciate the website lead. I'm just trying to avoid spending more money on a high mileage jeep.

Tug-n-pull,
I know the correct answer is a new one, and I appreciate the website lead. I'm just trying to avoid spending more money on a high mileage jeep.

Take out the liner pans. Scrape off all the foam backing. Find any fabric you like to include Crushed velvet :wink: or a favorite martha stewart sheet or flag ect.... Geto Linner! and spray and stick that. Real cheap and looks good. tug

Tug-n-pull,
Thank you! Its always been the foam backing that's been the problem, and why not just get rid of it. At 188,000 miles I can live without the foam backing. Thanks again.

I went to a fabric store and asked if they had anything I could use a headliner? The lady says "we carry headliner material". I buy a little over 2-1/2 yards and some adhesive and presto for under $20 for material and around $8 for the adhesive I have a beautiful new headliner. Thanks to the forum for all their help :)

Thanks for the up date I think I will be going to the fabric shop myself in the next couple of days for the ol GMC. Tug

might have to do that myself. seems like everytime it rains the headliner in my truck sags to my head, but when it begins to dry up it works it's self back up.

Back