Headers :Which one ?

JEG

I am not sure which header I should purchase.Hedman or Pacesetter which is less likely to crack.I have a 258, 4.2L 1988 Wrangler.Borla is way to expensive for my budget .If there are any others please let me know .Thanks

no aftermarket header should crack.. they are not cast like the stock manifold..

Re: Jeep wont stop!

Just about any header can give good results with some prep work. Buy the headers with the thickest flanges you can afford. Use a straight edge to check flatness of flanges before you install them, on cheap headers it can save some headaches to find out they are warped or damaged BEFORE you try and install them. Use a 120-180 grit disc on a side grinder to clean up the sealing surfaces. Check to make sure all welds are complete and sealed. Use quality gaskets and splurge for some dead-soft aluminum ones if you can find them. Tighten completely,starting in the center, after all bolts are snug. This works well for me.

It really sucks to bump your headers five minutes into the trail and damage them or ruin a gasket and have to listen to that "ticking" exhaust leak all day so make sure you have plenty of clearance all around the header to compensate for engine movement and that the collectors and exhaust tubing aren't hanging down too low.

I'd get the hedmans over the pacesetter.

Thats for the info Junkpile I think I will go with the Hedmans for $159.00 and take your advice on the prep.

I for one am just not sold on the need of headers. If you are able to get a good flow from the manifold on back say a hollow cat or better no cat at all and a flowmaster or other good exaust the manifold itself is good to give just a bit of back pressure. Just not enough gain in performance or milage to justifie the cost or trouble that you hear from after market headers. Unless you have a cracked mainifold why disturb it. Use the money for something better to get you out of the woods. Then again I am a bit quirky about many things. tug

i wouldnt go with pacesetters, i went thru 2 sets of them allready the rust out really easy and they do crack, i cracked mine in the woods hitting a little puddle of water and they claim that there waranteed for life but that didnt happen.. i ended up buying another header

Tug-n-pull said:
I for one am just not sold on the need of headers. If you are able to get a good flow from the manifold on back say a hollow cat or better no cat at all and a flowmaster or other good exaust the manifold itself is good to give just a bit of back pressure. Just not enough gain in performance or milage to justifie the cost or trouble that you hear from after market headers. Unless you have a cracked mainifold why disturb it. Use the money for something better to get you out of the woods :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: . Then again I am a bit quirky about many things. tug
Is there a part that goes between the exhuast manifold and the pipe ,like a emission piece or something? That is where mine is leakingand I cant get a shop to fix it with a donut gasket.What can I try?

i went with a borla on my 99 sahara it's great and comes with a lifetime warranty> Just food for thought

Back